rainbow trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marquis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im not sure if people keep this species but is it possible and his are they??

They are large fish. They need a very large tank in addition to cool water (may need a chiller). There may also be added regulations on them since they are a native game fish.

Hi they are a hard fish to keep as they like cool temperatures and can be quite feisty with other fishes,so not ideal fish to keep:( nice to catch though:D

stingrays4 said:
Hi they are a hard fish to keep as they like cool temperatures and can be quite feisty with other fishes,so not ideal fish to keep:( nice to catch though:D

I know lots about them i have a pond full of them my dad and i have this idea to have a 500 gallon tank fed with fresh spring water displaying some nice size trout wouldn't need filtration or lights bc it would be out side and have constant new cold water flowing in only thing is there would have to be current if some sort as trout are generally river fish

I don't think they are really suitable for home aquaria. They would need a very long river tank.

siva said:
I don't think they are really suitable for home aquaria. They would need a very long river tank.

They have tanks called living streams

Sounds awesome. I say go for it.
Ive always wanted a trout river running through the middle of my house set into the floor with acryllic over the top so you can walk on top of it and look down and see them swimming around.

I know lots about them i have a pond full of them my dad and i have this idea to have a 500 gallon tank fed with fresh spring water displaying some nice size trout wouldn't need filtration or lights bc it would be out side and have constant new cold water flowing in only thing is there would have to be current if some sort as trout are generally river fish

It would also have to have significant flow in order to keep it from freezing.

There is a fairly new program being done across the nation right now called "Trout in School" or something similar to that, in which trout eggs are being provided to schools and the schools are hatching them out and then releasing the fry into local waterways under the supervision of the local fish authority for their state. I believe the program is being sponsored by Trout Unlimited.

At any rate, as was previously mentioned, they are not really suitable for a home aquarium. However, some large stores (Cabeles for example), have large display tanks set up in their store with various trout species.

With 3 different springs running into it freezing wouldn't b an issue its good their doing that in schools my dad and i farm trout fry just to keep our pond stocked its actually easy and we release some back into the river that runs near our pond

Hi done some more thinking on this one,so here are my thoughts:cool:
You say it will be outside? If so i think a shady area would be best to avoid algea issues?
Spring fed? Are you thinking of running water into the tank constantly then? If so i would say that if the tank is being turned over once a day{Basically a 100%PWC per day}then that should be sufficient?
I would get the water checked just to make sure its ok for your fish? I believe you are already using it so this shouldn't be an issue?
Also what is the temperature of the water?
Also running the water to waste could be an issue as that's allot of water changes per day so to speak. Also not sure if any of your local by laws prohibit this?
As for flow inside the tank could you use a water pump like they use on marine set ups?
Good luck(y)

It would be located in the shade its at the edge of a forest below a cliff only direct sun might be in the late afternoon early evening not sure the water temp but the springs flow into our pond and i think the temperature of the pond would be a little warmer then the spring and it supports rainbow and speckled trout and i know with trout they thrive in cold water only reason my pond can have them is its spring fed and deep and very big the water quality wouldn't be an issue.. The water flow though would be pumps a good idea and yes the water would be flowing constantly

I have worked with trout for the USFWS and was also involved with helping schools keep trouts juvies (a similar program to the one mentioned by Wy, but sponsored differently). From my experience, I don't think 500g is enough for rainbow trout to live out their lives. They would be fine as juveniles, but I think you would run into issues once they get older. They are pretty strong swimmers and tend to run into the glass all the time if their tank isn't big enough and then they look all beaten up. The zoos that I know of that keep them use a similarly sized tank to keep juveniles but not adults.
So, thats my initial inclination, but it still might be worth trying. What are the dimensions of the tank? How is the system set up to keep the water constantly moving? You could try it since you could always give the fish away to one of the ponds you guys farm fish out to if it didn't work I suppose. Whats the tank temperature?
Make sure to double check your local laws about it though. In some states, liek Washington for example, it wouldn't be legal.

Back
Top Bottom