Red spot on Black Skirt Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsmelody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 galon freshwater tank with 3 cardinal tetras, one dwarf gourami and one black skirt tetra. Recently, I noticed a red spot on the "chin" of the black skirt. Is this a big deal? It looks like a small blood blister, if on a human a suppose.

Thanks for the help!:fish2:

:welcome: to AA! :)

I have a 5 galon freshwater tank with 3 cardinal tetras, one dwarf gourami and one black skirt tetra. Recently, I noticed a red spot on the "chin" of the black skirt. Is this a big deal? It looks like a small blood blister, if on a human a suppose.

Thanks for the help!:fish2:
Did you cycle the tank beforehand? It kinda sounds like an ammonia burn...what are the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

If you didn't cycle:
1.The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
2.I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
If you did cycle, do you by any chance have a log?

Thanks!

No, I didn't cycle my tank. It's about a month old; I added the fish after maybe 4 days. I had my water tested and the guy at the fish store said it was high ammonia levels. He gave me a chemical to fix it and that was that. This was last week, maybe last Wednesday. I noticed the spot on sunday. I guess I will get that test kit and do it more consistently, right? Thanks again!

No, I didn't cycle my tank. It's about a month old; I added the fish after maybe 4 days. I had my water tested and the guy at the fish store said it was high ammonia levels. He gave me a chemical to fix it and that was that. This was last week, maybe last Wednesday. I noticed the spot on sunday. I guess I will get that test kit and do it more consistently, right? Thanks again!

How often do you do water changes? Were the people at the fish store using test strips or a liquid kit?

Chemicals don't really work, espeically those that get rid of ammonia, raise your pH, kill off algae, etc. I've tried all those when I was a beginner, and my fish died. It's possible the chemical he gave you is a contributing factor to what is killing your fish.

Yep, I would suggest the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Around 20-30 dollars and will provide you with lots of tests.

Good luck! :)

They used a liquid kit. I haven't changed the water yet. I was told every 30 days. Is that often enough?

What LFS told you this!?!?!?! In a five gallon tank the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates can build up to toxic levels easier than in a big tank, thirty days and your fish could have been dead! In that tank I'd say every week!

Back
Top Bottom