Red tail shark problems....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, got a small problem. It all started when I moved my Bolivian Rams back to the 75G because I felt they needed a little more room. Well, what happened is it threw off the territories that the red tail shark owned. And he does not like it one bit. I got home from work today, and what did I see? He was very aggressively attacking the Bolivian Rams. He's not even paying attention to any of the other fish. But the Bolivians, he does not like them for some reason. So my question is do I let it keep going like this, or do I move him to my 75G, which can be even worse as I have 2 rainbow sharks his size or a little bigger. That can also present problems of it's own. Then my other 2 choices are my 29G and my 26G Bowfront, but they are much too small for him. Any thoughts out there on this?

Oh, and as for the Bolivians, they try hard to defend themselves, but it's not working. He's just relentlessly attacking them. And for being cichlids, they are wusses, lol. But I don't want them getting hurt or anything. They are a pretty awsome fish, and I really would like them to spawn again. But at this rate, looks like it just keeps getting worse, lol.

you just might have to mix up the rocks, caves, tunnels et cetra, so the fish are able to form new terristories, and shark will be more focused on claiming a new territory before attacking your ram

rich311k said:
I would move the rams back to the 29 if possible.

I was thinking that, but they just weren't acting normal in there anymore. So I thought maybe just adding some tetras as dither fish might help. But it only made things worse. Plus the tank being in a high traffic area didn't help much either, as I don't walk by the 75G near as much as the 29G, as it's sitting next to the entrance of my bedroom. So when I go back and forth, I'm constantly walking by the 29G. The tetras don't mind it, but the rams got to the point where they were only hiding, not coming out to eat, etc. And not spawning either. Now the rams are out, but they are just not liked by the red tail. Maybe the 29G would be big enough for the red tail. But will wait a few days to see if things mellow out or get worse.

I second Rich.

Hc, that will most not likely work in this situation.

Mike469 said:
Hc, that will most not likely work in this situation.

You know how much work that would be if it would work? lol. Tons of plants. And the 2 caves, since they floated as they are lava rock, I attached marble to the bottoms and placed them in the tank before adding the Eco Complete. So getting them out and moved and try to put them back in where the marble is covered by Eco would be a challenge too. And they even tried to float with the marble attached, lol. The only thing holding them down is the suction formed by the Eco Complete around and on top of the marble. Would be a whole weekend thing to rearrange everything, lol.

Not in high traffic, no. But it's got 30+ fish in it already, lol. Mostly tetras, rasboras, and 3 rainbowfish, and cories. Kind of over-stocked. The tank that has the least stocking is the 29G, as it only houses tetras and 4 otos for now.

Edit:
I was looking into getting another dual stand for a 29G and maybe get 2 more 29G at Walmart, lol.

t

Dont worry LWB,

As soon as some GBR's spawn, I will help you with that. I refuse to buy them from one of the 30 LFS!!

What is 1....2....3...more tanks anyway.

I got it, "Wolf Aquarium."

LOL so I say "get another tank" and you're already thinking of getting TWO ! yep, that's about right for you. DO IT !!!! Then you'll be able to do something about the overstocked 26G also. PLUS add room for a few more fish LOL

LOL. I just need the money, lol. Next bonus maybe, lol. Then I need floor space, lol. Could move the cat's cat tree out and put in a dual 29G there, lol. Right next to my current 29G, lol. The problem is high traffic though. Would like to keep breeding tanks away from high traffic. hmmmm, where can I put it..... LOL

Come on LWB.....Just build another fish house!! Everybody knows that!

I would get them out of there. When you introduce new fish to a red-tailed shark, they flip out. I found out the hard way.

Mine left bite marks on my barbs.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .... if you own then call an electrician. If you rent you may be at your tank limit - perish the thought !

Back
Top Bottom