redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recharged mine after it was really really brown.. i don't remember the exact length of time but maybe 2 months.. curious to hear other people's answer

I have a quick question tonight!

How often do you guys change your Purigen? I currently have a pouch of it in my filter, which I believe is good for 100 gallons. Thank you!
I have two bags(100g) in my canister. I haven't charged mine in about 4mths. It really depends on the load in your tank. I would say mine is ready to be charged very soon. I will check it today during my PWC. As was said, not until it's really dark brown, almost black. Take yours out and give it a rinse in old tank water. It could be good for another bit....

I too change mine when the beads turn very dark which varies from tank to tank depending on alot of different factors. I've actually gone up to 6 monts in tanks with low bio-loads before and have had to do it as often as 2 weeks when in a tank with heavily leaching tannins. You basically just have to watch it and change it as needed.

Thanks Janis!

Ian- I am not sure yet, maybe I will try to recharge it. It seems like a daunting task though.

Ian- I am not sure yet, maybe I will try to recharge it. It seems like a daunting task though.
Nah, it's simple. I have no choice really, as I pay a lot for Prime and Purigen over here. It might be financially better for you to recharge it. Less papers for you to deliver....haha!!!

The problem with Swords is they have a high bio-load and what few people know is male swords can get 5+ inches and really need a large tank. Too often people see the cute little guys in a fish store and don't realize how big they can get.

The problem with Swords is they have a high bio-load and what few people know is male swords can get 5+ inches and really need a large tank. Too often people see the cute little guys in a fish store and don't realize how big they can get.
I agree, it's not aggression that's the issue. It's the bio-load.....

I agree, it's not aggression that's the issue. It's the bio-load.....

Thanks both of you for your help! Maybe these guys will be an option for my future bigger freshwater tank. :)

What are your guys' thoughts on three or so White Skirts to go along with the Blacks?

One more fish question......I have been looking at Bolivian Rams, and may go with those as opposed to the GBRs, any thoughts? Thank you!

Oh, I realize a pair of GBRs is innapropriate for this aquarium, but is a pair of Bolivians equal unacceptable? What about two females?

Thanks! :-D

IMO just getting a single male GBR or Bolivian would be the way to go in this tank. They would be peaceful and not cause any issues in a smaller tank being singles. Two females can exsist together alot better than two males but there will still be bickering especially if you get a more aggressive female.

Ah, thanks Janis!

I know a LFS has some Bolivians in stock currently, but don't want to purchase one yet if the tank is not ready. :)

You can add a Bolivian sooner than a GBR although IMO they aren't as pretty. I actually think the female Bolivians are prettier due to their pink bellies.

Hmmmm, so much to think about! I may just stick to the original plan of a GBR, and plan for around June so the tank is more established. :)

I am very indecisive!

Better to wait and get something you want than get something now that your not going to be happy with in the long run.

Very true. :)

I am definitely going to wait for the GBR. I like Bolivians too, but have decided on a GBR for this tank. :) Patience certainly is a virtue!

Thanks a bunch! I REALLY appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom