redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Rivercats!

Is it normal for some of the leaves on the Bacopa to kind of lose color and become smaller? Maybe this is the "melting" I have heard people talk about when dealing with plants.

I remember you saying that the stems were a bit close together, maybe this is a cause of that? I suppose it is also possible that the plants came that way, not sure, however.

redsea said:
Here it is.

Looking good. I'm way more of a single guppy fan than a whole school of guppies. They often end up fighting in a group of just males and the females reproduce so much. I wish I had gone with something like a guppy or sparkling gourami instead of a betta in my 5.5. He loves munching on the shrimp. :(

Tank is looking good! I think you can add a guppy if you want ;)
Thank you! I added a Guppy to this tank yesterday, it is a beautiful dark Orange. I will do my best to get a picture up tomorrow.
Looking good. I'm way more of a single guppy fan than a whole school of guppies. They often end up fighting in a group of just males and the females reproduce so much. I wish I had gone with something like a guppy or sparkling gourami instead of a betta in my 5.5. He loves munching on the shrimp. :(
Yeah, I am just planning on the single Guppy. :) I had thought about purchasing more than one, but I am definitely happy with this one for this tank. Thanks for posting!
You'd have to post a picture so I can see the leaves up close.
Thanks, I plan on posting that picture tomorrow too :).

:lol: Hold on, I will re-upload it after speeding it up a little bit! Just kidding!

It is funny, I was wondering if my filter could actually hurt my fish. It is so strong that it pushes them around when they go near where the water flows out, and they sometimes get pushed along the Eco-Complete/sand bed. I worry they are going to mess up up their spines or scratch themselves.......

:lol: Hold on, I will re-upload it after speeding it up a little bit! Just kidding!

It is funny, I was wondering if my filter could actually hurt my fish. It is so strong that it pushes them around when they go near where the water flows out, and they sometimes get pushed along the Eco-Complete/sand bed. I worry they are going to mess up up their spines or scratch themselves.......
Yeah me too, seriously though, make a 2-3min vid next time and get the whole tank in. I was looking forward to it and it was over before it started. My broadband is slow and it didn't even buffer....haha.
I don't know anything about those filters but i'm sure it won't do them any harm. Some fish love swimming in the strong current, my guppies do. If your worried, start a thread in the DIY section. I'm sure some of the creative people there would be able to help....

I know it's an added expense but putting two small HOB filters on either side would provide better circulation with a much more gentle flow. Either that or a canister filter. A Rena XP1 has a pretty small media area but it works great for my 20H, even with the return split to a separate reactor and inline heater line. I'm a big fan of using multiple small HOB filters. They're cheap, and if one ever dies you aren't in a bind because you'll always have an active backup. Just an option.

You could also try to modify the output of the filter you have. Some people add a piece of clear plastic strip from a glass hood under the output of the filter. You can also make a cut in the center of the strip and bend it up in the center to make an inverted "V". That sends more water current to either side of the tank, which reduces dead spots at the sides of the tank and still stops the flow from being to harsh in any one area.

If you put a piece of quilt batting in the outflow that helps create bubbles while lessening the force of the flow, and it's pretty cheap at most craft stores.

If you put a piece of quilt batting in the outflow that helps create bubbles while lessening the force of the flow, and it's pretty cheap at most craft stores.

Agreed! Have that done in my 10g that has a betta that doesn't like the water movement strong. Plus if you want to start a new tank, its great media!! Good luck Redsea, would love to see it when your done! Thomasina!!!

Thanks everyone for your input on the filter, I have a lot to think about!

I had a quick question tonight......

I have been noticing that my Panda Cories seem to look thin. Is it just part of their overall body composition to appear that way, or do I need to change my feeding habits?

Sorry it was very difficult for me to get a picture of the fish (they just wouldn't stop moving, LOL). I will attach a video in a few minutes and see if that helps at all. :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom