Rescued oscar with hith

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobofishman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I rescued a Oscar that is about 8 in long from a 10 gal tank...he has hole in the head..I have him in my 10 gal hospital tank and I am treating him with Metrodizole is this all I can do? I don't want to put him in with my Oscar in th 90 gal ...yet....

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I got it the guy was like I just want rid of it .it was a very small pump...I think it was bad water and environment....

HITH is a parasitical disease found in angel fish and discus. HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) is a condition common in large cichlids that occurs due to high nitrates/poor water conditions. It can be reversible if small/contained. Fresh, clean water I our best bet, with frequent water changes, and daily water changes while in that 10 (I'd go grab a larger hospital tank if possible)

Here are the pics he looks a little better today but he still won't eat... He does try to get my African fry I. The next tank ... I wonder if I should give him one to see if he will eat it..

Attachments

• 1390957338589.jpg
    1390957338589.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 1390957369252.jpg
    1390957369252.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 105
The hole is right above his eye and it is a good size hole...

I see it. Keep us posted on his progress btw he has some nice color too bad he was living in poor conditions

Ok. You need to get him out of the of the 10 gallon, he'll pollute that in hours. That will not do anything with or with out meds. You do not need meds to treat this. The only cure is clean water, extremely clean water, and a good diet and it takes a long time. Put him in the 90 gallon even though it is too small for 2 oscars it's better than one in a ten gallon. (Maybe get another tank). Have a divider ready in case they don't get along. Change 50% at least of the water every 2 days. (Every day would be better)Feed a good pellet as the staple with occasional treats like blood worms, worms, insects ect.... but no feeder fish, to much risk of disease and they are not nutritious. Boyd's vitachem soaked into something like freeze dried krill and fed once a week will help too. Keep pounding the fresh water to him for 2-3 months and it will heal up slowly. Now once they have this they are much more susceptible to getting it again and will require clean water upkeep.

Like I said earlier, HLLE is caused by poor water conditions and diet. It is not a disease, but a condition. HLLE is in no way contagious

What I do as QT Tanks is I buy The largest storage bin at the store and simply hang a filter or canister on the back thats what I find easiest and less expensive.

I move him to my 55 gal with my jack and convict.. he seems much happier. He is
very w
ell...I can't put him in with my big boy .I don't think he is strong enough to deal chong my big Oscar...

Here are some good pic of his hole...

Attachments

• 1391145049027.jpg
    1391145049027.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 1391145073943.jpg
    1391145073943.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom