Rock Id please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know, I know "Rock Id", and no I'm not going to need your help identifying the last rock song I heard in the radio lol :)

I need some help finding out what type of rock this is!

I was on YouTube last night and came across a video of rummynose tetras schooling, and the guy/gal has some nice rock in their tank that I like the look of and want to put some in my new tank. Problem is I have no idea what kind they are! All I can tell us that they're black and kind of striped lol

Here are some pics:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406724357.996535.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406724370.786156.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406724381.456442.jpg

Thank you!!

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

I have some yamaya stone that looks similar with grey color and subtle stripes in it. I know it's not this stone, but check out seiryu stone. Also great for hardscape!

I think it's just veined granite. Cheap stuff if you find the right kind of landscape place. Try to find one of the big yards that have acres of pallets, and see if they will sell in small quantity. I found one and just wandered for an hour, then paid a whole $6 for 35 pounds of red shale (or slate, some of each I think), picked through carefully at home and threw half away and still had plenty for a 45 G tank.

Beats $1 a pound many fish stores have, plus a lot more selection.

If you can't tell carbonate variations, take a bit of muratic acid (or vinegar if you you can't get acid). One drop will tell you instantly -- if it foams you don't want it (substantially raises PH). Vinegar will kind of work, but not always.

I have some yamaya stone that looks similar with grey color and subtle stripes in it. I know it's not this stone, but check out seiryu stone. Also great for hardscape!

Thanks Brian, I'll have to check that out. I can't wait to hardscape my tank lol! Just need to start buying everything

I think it's just veined granite. Cheap stuff if you find the right kind of landscape place. Try to find one of the big yards that have acres of pallets, and see if they will sell in small quantity. I found one and just wandered for an hour, then paid a whole $6 for 35 pounds of red shale (or slate, some of each I think), picked through carefully at home and threw half away and still had plenty for a 45 G tank.

Beats $1 a pound many fish stores have, plus a lot more selection.

If you can't tell carbonate variations, take a bit of muratic acid (or vinegar if you you can't get acid). One drop will tell you instantly -- if it foams you don't want it (substantially raises PH). Vinegar will kind of work, but not always.

Ok thanks I'll look around, because yeah that a great deal compared to LFS prices! Thanks for telling me the acid trick!

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom