Rodi or not :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have started a reef aquarium and I was looking at my towns water levels and stove and it seemed OK, I was just wondering if I can get a second opinion on if this is OK for a reef tank

Nitrite - undetectable
Nitrate 0.29 ppm
Alk - 77 ppm
Calcium - 26 ppm
Tds - 94
Chlorine - 0.85
I use as well a tap water filter and seachem prime

I mean... You'll hear some say it's fine.. You'll hear 1000x more say use rodi... I use rodi, I'd recommend using it. You're going to put some $$ into that reef.. what's an extra 200-300$ in making water??

I mean... You'll hear some say it's fine.. You'll hear 1000x more say use rodi... I use rodi, I'd recommend using it. You're going to put some $$ into that reef.. what's an extra 200-300$ in making water??

Yes.This is the answer I thought I would get however if I put 200 and $300 more into it that would also have to translate into Canadian money because I live in canada that 200 turns into 400 and that would more than double the price of what I’ve arty spent on my roof so

Yes.This is the answer I thought I would get however if I put 200 and $300 more into it that would also have to translate into Canadian money because I live in canada that 200 turns into 400 and that would more than double the price of what I’ve arty spent on my roof so
You're lucky.. my roof cost 7k us..

Problem is... again this is what some say... that tds (total dissolved solids) could be a whole bunch of things, we don't know what? We could know if you're friends with a chemists or have access to a lab and some one who knows how to make good use of a lab? I dont... I do know is rather have my tds south of 10 to accommodate for my lack of lab access and knowing lab partners. I do know that certain metals are not so great in a reef. Once they're in there, they're in there...

If you’re putting any water above 0 TDS into the tank you are 100% more likely to run into issues later on. It may be ok for a year or so and then bam all those nasties in your towns water have built up and create a massive algae bloom or worse kill your tank. Reefs are delicate ecosystems and I’d spend the money to make sure I have the best possible water source I can supply for it.

A $100-200 RODI is worth it vs buying hundreds in corals and losing them all down the line due to poor source water

If you’re putting any water above 0 TDS into the tank you are 100% more likely to run into issues later on. It may be ok for a year or so and then bam all those nasties in your towns water have built up and create a massive algae bloom or worse kill your tank. Reefs are delicate ecosystems and I’d spend the money to make sure I have the best possible water source I can supply for it.

Okay thanks for giving opinions guys I’ll look into rodi water

Back
Top Bottom