Rope fish and Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WackyInsertions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fairly soon, I should be getting a 125 gallon tank; I plan to use sand as the substrate and to power/external filter the bejesus out of it.

Presently, I want one oscar and five to six clown loaches, all raised from babies. However, I recently fell in love with the rope fish. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with oscars getting along with rope fish? I'm curious if a full grown oscar is going to be capable of swallowing chunks of these slender guys.

Also, I'm wondering if this is a compounded bad idea by the 5-6 loaches taking up the rope fish's hiding places at the bottom.

Basically, I'd like to know if this is a possible housing while keeping every member happy.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. I will get a rope for my albino. The rope is mellow and I don't think the oscars will try to eat it. I got a small oscar though so they may get used to one another......
may be the way to go to make sure. look at my gallery for my rope.

That's a beautiful rope fish! I'm jealous.

But since I'm going to have just one oscar with all that room (I'll probably power feed him too...gigantic oscars are quite amazing to watch), he'd certainly be able to fit that guy in his mouth. I've read that rope fish don't get bigger in girth, they just get longer, so I'm thinking eventually the oscar would work his way chomping down the rope fish's body :(

I feed my three full grown oscars largenight crawlers. A rope fish, I have two in another tank, look fairly similar. Believe me.. a full size Oscar will look at it as a "worm" as well. Also Rope Fish do like to come to dry land once in a while. Mine have an Island in the tank and quite ofter will come up to set for a while each day.
I would suggest not to good an idea 8)

That's what I was afraid of; I'm glad I got confirmation about my suspicion, though. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom