Rope fish tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered a rope fish for my 75 gallon. Not an impulse buy I promise I've been reading on them. I currently have 5 cherry barbs(to be rehomed to 45g that's not fully stocked so they are not a snack :) ), 5 black skirt tetras, and my dojo loach.

I ordered it from AquaBid and it is about 3-4 inches long. No date set as to shipping due to weather.

What are some good tank mates for the rope? I know anything that can fit in its mouth is food. I was thinking maybe a larger cichlid if possible. I'll rehome the black skirts as well if needed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Edit: a cichlid if possible. I love my live plants have heard some like plants and won't destroy them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe large denison barbs?

A small school of a larger rainbowfish species like boesemani rainbows would work. Only if you got them while they were pretty large though.

Do you have a lid on your tank? They can escape through anything.

Ropefish also like to be kept in groups with other ropes, they're pretty social with each other.

Basically any large cichlid you get is going to tear up or uproot plants. If you don't want the risk of the plants being shredded and torn up, I'd steer clear of large cichlids.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a lid on your tank? They can escape through anything.

Ropefish also like to be kept in groups with other ropes, they're pretty social with each other.

Basically any large cichlid you get is going to tear up or uproot plants. If you don't want the risk of the plants being shredded and torn up, I'd steer clear of large cichlids.

Yes I do Nigel it's a heavy glass top with plastic cutout on the back fit to all the things in my tank.

I might get another but I want to see how one does. Reason is I paid about $50 for the rope. Shipping being like $35 of that because it's winter.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What about Angels? Like I said he's only 3-4 inches. Will that give them time to grow at the same rate as the rope?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I just ordered a rope fish for my 75 gallon. Not an impulse buy I promise I've been reading on them. I currently have 5 cherry barbs(to be rehomed to 45g that's not fully stocked so they are not a snack :) ), 5 black skirt tetras, and my dojo loach.

I ordered it from AquaBid and it is about 3-4 inches long. No date set as to shipping due to weather.

What are some good tank mates for the rope? I know anything that can fit in its mouth is food. I was thinking maybe a larger cichlid if possible. I'll rehome the black skirts as well if needed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Rope fish are peaceful nocturnal fish, they also breath air! They also prefer to be in groups of 2+. Feed them live food sometimes

Fish?are?friends?not?food

Rope fish are peaceful nocturnal fish, they also breath air! They also prefer to be in groups of 2+. Feed them live food sometimes

I wouldn't feed live. I think once you get an animal eating something it has to swim and catch, it becomes more likely they'll start looking at tankmates as food. I've kept my bichir well fed on different pellets, frozen shrimp, massivore sinking pellets and she hasn't eaten a single fish even though there are fish small enough for her to eat.

I wouldn't feed live. I think once you get an animal eating something it has to swim and catch, it becomes more likely they'll start looking at tankmates as food. I've kept my bichir well fed on different pellets, frozen shrimp, massivore sinking pellets and she hasn't eaten a single fish even though there are fish small enough for her to eat.

What would be best to start off with while he is small? Obviously when he gets big I can use whole massivore pellets but until then?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well they get to about 2 feet so any if any fish is significantly smaller then the rope fish it will assume it can fit in their mouth, its in there nature.

Well they get to about 2 feet so any if any fish is significantly smaller then the rope fish it will assume it can fit in their mouth, its in there nature.

Yeah I've done my homework. Just trying to find some compatible tank mates that he won't eat :p like I'll probably do an angel pair.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What would be best to start off with while he is small? Obviously when he gets big I can use whole massivore pellets but until then?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The Massivore pellets break really easily. When she was a baby I'd break them in fourths for her, now I break them in half.

While it is in their nature, if you're keeping them well fed and not waking that instinct by having them chase down their food there's less chance that it'll go actively seeking fish to eat. Besides, feeding live would mean starting a tank to raise live food or running the high risk of passing on diseases and parasites to your fish by using store bought feeders. There's a reason 98% of people try to get their fish off of live food and onto pellets and flakes, the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.

The Massivore pellets break really easily. When she was a baby I'd break them in fourths for her, now I break them in half.

While it is in their nature, if you're keeping them well fed and not waking that instinct by having them chase down their food there's less chance that it'll go actively seeking fish to eat. Besides, feeding live would mean starting a tank to raise live food or running the high risk of passing on diseases and parasites to your fish by using store bought feeders. There's a reason 98% of people try to get their fish off of live food and onto pellets and flakes, the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.

I was tempted to try adding some ghost shrimp (39¢ @ LFS) to see if he would like LIVE food but now I'm thinking differently. Definitely do not want any parasites. I do have a pack of frozen bloodworms. Would that be okay? I've also seen people feeding them earthworms is this good for them?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I was tempted to try adding some ghost shrimp (39¢ @ LFS) to see if he would like LIVE food but now I'm thinking differently. Definitely do not want any parasites. I do have a pack of frozen bloodworms. Would that be okay? I've also seen people feeding them earthworms is this good for them?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Frozen food is just as good as live. Plus you Do not have worry about disease.

Frozen food is just as good as live. Plus you Do not have worry about disease.

Great. And are the earthworms good for their diet? If so that's awesome I like on a lake and I can just go out and find some, wash them off and feed them to him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Like anything he will need variety. I wouldn't feed him bloodworms every day, but a couple of times a week sure.

Back
Top Bottom