salt mix has sand in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdninjaboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been doin 50% water changes on my 20Gal long tank, been noticing little bits of sand floating around the bottom of the tank after a water change. Is this normal? I would think that any sand in the salt mix would be considered 'filler'? Is there a salt mix that doesnt contain any sand or is having a little sand in there just part of the mix? Its not alot of sand but usually a couple little piles the size of a dime.. I notice the I/O salt mix I buy is the cheapest, I dont have a reef so I figured that would be good but if I buy the I/O reef salt or a different brand of salt that doesnt have sand in it?

Shane.

Instant Ocean is a very good salt and perfectly fine to use. It's probably not sand you see. What it most likely is, is calcium carbonate. When you mix your water there can be locally high concentrations of calcium and sodium carbonate and they form a precipitant...calcium carbonate.

Do you add water to your salt or have water in the containner first and then add salt?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom