Saved goldfish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Nice mutts!!!! I have one too (well, i have yet to get a definitive answer on what exactly he is- a mutt or a genetic anomaly). Beware! You have now caught the goldfish bug!!!! :)

Sshhh! Don't tell my hubby. Hahaha. I think I know the one. Is it the Moore with the single tail and the red belly? He's cute!

Yep! He is the one! I have been told by the goldfish sites he is a nympth, a willow (cross betw moor & comet), or genetic anomaly (freak of nature). Guess i will never really know!! But he is a very unique looking & he is the king of my 50gal! LOL- just dont tell MY husband i want to venture into breeding next year!

Last edited:
jlk said:
Yep! He is the one! I have been told by the goldfish sites he is a nympth, a willow (cross betw moor & comet), or genetic anomaly (freak of nature). Guess i will never really know!! But he is a very unique looking & he is the king of my 50gal! LOL- just dont tell MY husband i want to venture into breeding next year!

I thought so, I remember commenting on a pic of him. He's awesome!

I won't tell if you don't LOL.

I had watched that you tube as well. Tell me how it works because it would be great in a pinch.

skiweeangel said:
I had watched that you tube as well. Tell me how it works because it would be great in a pinch.

It's going great so far. Had it running about 3 days now. It's got a dozen or more fork holes (4 holes for each) around the bottom. Then hobby fill, then the gravel from the old tank, then the tiny bit of sponge from the old filter. Cut the top off the bottle and put the intake of the powerhead in. It's got great flow. I can see the bits of poop getting dragged towards it. I've made another for a cheap powerhead I bought off eBay with hobby fill and pot scrubbies. Should have it hooked up in the next couple of days. Then when I finally find a canister thats cheap enough (so hubby agrees :)) I can just transfer all the media over. :D I'll get pics when it's in.

skiweeangel said:
sweet! i love this idea for a backup.

Thanks can't take any credit though :)

Did some testing earlier.
.25 definitely
0 maybe a bit more.
Did a 25-30% PWC
Going give it a week. If I'm still getting ammonia I'm going to donate some media form my 70g community.

All three are doing well. Doing a 50% PWC today. My other powerhead hasn't shown up yet. I'm hoping it will arrive Monday. The moores eye hasn't improved but hasn't gotten any worse. I can afford a canister at the moment.:( I'm going interstate to see my sister next weekend so maybe after that.

image-3903004410.jpg

Im glad they are doing well!!! I wouldnt worry too much about the moors eye. If its not getting worse, he may have a cataract from the high nitrate levels (untreatable). If it does start to get worse, there may be an infection that has to be treated. Its been my experience that the majority of lfs goldies are generally males. I suspect it may have something to do with poor breeding/poor breeding conditions that create a low percentage of females but i dont know this for sure! :)

jlk said:
Im glad they are doing well!!! I wouldnt worry too much about the moors eye. If its not getting worse, he may have a cataract from the high nitrate levels (untreatable). If it does start to get worse, there may be an infection that has to be treated. Its been my experience that the majority of lfs goldies are generally males. I suspect it may have something to do with poor breeding/poor breeding conditions that create a low percentage of females but i dont know this for sure! :)

Really most are males? Strange. My other powerhead just arrived. :) I'm going to hook it up soon and see how it goes.

I'll have to think of names for them. Somehow Dorothy doesn't quite fit now. Lol.

LOL!!! My cats (after getting their paws wet) refuse to venture anywhere near the tanks in fear of going for a swim!! :)

Back
Top Bottom