Saving a Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TigerFusion, thanks for sharing the details of this saga with us. That Maverick (love it!) is recovering so nicely speaks volumes of the hearty nature of goldfish AND the expert care you are providing!

Please keep the periodic updates coming. And if the opportunity presents itself, if possible, PLEASE educate that one girl of the proper care fish need. Your analogy of "if this fish was a dog..." is SO spot-on. I think it's criminal that carnivals STILL give "feeders" as prizes. Goldfish abuse is what it is.

Thank you Mapexmac007! Personally, I think that selling an animal as a "Feeder" to be eaten Live by another animal is Cruel!! I walked into a fish store a long time ago and saw approximately HALF a goldfish in a tank with a Pirhana and the goldfish was Still Alive, Twitching!! That was Disturbing!

I agree - the entire notion of "feeders" is one I struggle with. What you witnessed, that's heart-breaking.

But, at least it's nature's way; big fish eat smaller fish — and such is life.

However, watching a child walk around a church carnival with a goldfish in a plastic bag without fresh O2, heating-up from direct sunlight, getting jostled-around...

Only to end-up in a bowl of unfiltered, uncirculated, un-airrated water with increasing nitrites and ammonia levels... THAT is pure inhumane torture. And the sad thing is, an overwhelming majority of people never think twice of it.

Meh, it's just a goldfish, that's what you do with goldfish. It's so cute when kids feed their fish in that bowl — and when they die, cuz goldfish never live for long, we just flush them down the toilet.

Pathetic.

New Tail Growth

I believe the white ends are new growth because they are past the black marks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 68
2 Weeks on API Melafix & Pimafix

I believe Maverick is doing really well. I stopped the treatment of Pimafix and Melafix and I added Seachem Seagel Media to the filter to allow the water to clear up and see how he is doing. He will be transferring to a 30 gallon breeder by the end of the week!! If additional treatment is needed, I am going to switch to a Broader Spectrum Medicine (Seachem Paraguard), which treats Parasite, Fungal and Bacterial Infections.

He is So Darn Cute!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 73
Great news Tiger! We're pullin' for Maverick!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
29 gal, fresh water, fluval 206 with nitrate-scrubbing media + mech + charcoal,

I am so excited for Maverick!! I just picked up his new 30 Gallon Breeder! The glass canopy, filter, sand, light etc. should be coming by UPS within the next few hours. I will post picks once it is all set up and he moves to his new House

Rule of Thirds

Just rearranged Maverick's Tank. Trying to make it more Visually Appealing...

Maverick is Doing Fantastic!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 70
The Ammonia Burns are all but Gone Now!!

Maverick is looking fantastic!! He's really coming on, and must be so much happier in his lovely and bully free new home. Well done! Please keep us posted of Maverick's progress.

:0)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

he looks soo much better, well done. When he fully recovers do you think he will go in with The Mcbubbles?

Thanks Everyone!! I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments!

I don't want to bum anyone out, but I just put my 18 year old cat to sleep a couple days ago. He was my Buddy!

Being able to save Maverick, and seeing his Healing, is helping to Heal MY Heart!

Last edited:
I don't want to bum anyone out, but I just put my 18 year old cat to sleep a couple days ago. He was my Buddy!

Being able to save Maverick, and seeing his Healing, is helping to Heal MY Heart!

Sad... Sorry for your loss TigerFusion. I'm glad to know Maverick's rehab is helping to ease that hurt!

Beach Theme

I created a "Fire Pit" to finish off Maverick's Beach Theme.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom