Schooling Fish Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCUnderwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm gonna add about a school of 5 or 6 soon and really want something unique and hardy... I have a freshwater reg 30 gal. I already have 3 Cory cats, a bristle nose, a angel fish. And 3 small random fish.

Any suggestions and/or pictures would be great.

What are those "Random" fish? Tetras are cool, I like neon and rummy nose. I have heard people having success with bleeding heart tetras, lemon tetras, etc... But I don't have much experience with them.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

About the most "unique" schooling fish I can think of for that size tank would be Threadfin Rainbows. The males do some pretty neat fin flicking displays to attract females and drive off males, and they color up nicely as they mature. My only concern is that the Angel might go for them, but as long as the Angel is young it should be fine.

Here's a pic of what one of my males looks like all full grown:
img_2903220_0_da88add49a8d0dff71efc04a16eaa591.jpg

Slight aggression? Two separate occasions I have tried tiger barbs mine just terrorized everything. I had a school of 10 in my 29 gal and slowly began removing the bully 1 at a time. They (seemed to) have some dynamic where one would be the main bully, as soon as the biggest bully was removed another would take his place. They would attack other fish as well as each other. I swear my cichlids tanks are more peaceful than a community tank with even just 5 tiger barbs in it.
I have had great success with cherry barbs, just make sure to keep 2-3 females per male.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok there goes that then lol could be another reason they're called "tiger barbs" beside their color lol

Praecox rainbows, Furcata rainbows threadfin rainbows, pentazona barbs, checker barbs, and kuhli loaches could all work.

Ok you can do this
Neon tetras
Glow light tetras
Black skirt tetras
Lemon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Hexagona barbs
Thread fin rainbows
Your choice

Back
Top Bottom