Schooling in Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a single peppered cory, I did have two but his friend died :(. He seems happy enough though, *always* busy!

I'm getting a 35G tank soon and would like to increase the shoal to around 6.
Now I would be happy just getting another 5 pepper cories, but my wife would like to see a bit of variety. I'm thinking probably of having some bronze corys and the rest peppered?

Are corys just as happy with other types of corys as they would be with their exact species? Or should I stick to my guns and only get peppered corys?

I have a mixture of cories. I have 2 green and 2 skunk. They seem happy, they play and sleep together.

Something like 3 of each should work fine. I think it is "best" if they are all the same type, but I've had mixed schools before and they seemed to get along fine as well.

Something like 3 of each should work fine. I think it is "best" if they are all the same type, but I've had mixed schools before and they seemed to get along fine as well.

+1.

So, I have 4 bronze and want to add more. If I added 3 peppered would that be ok then? It sounds like it would be lol

I'm thinking perhaps finishing with 2 peppered, 2 bronze, 1 albino (which is actually the same as bronze?) and a pygmy.

Albinos in the hobby are typically aeneus (bronze), but others exist as well. I would not add a single pygmy into the mix. They behave quite differently from their larger cousins and would be best in a minimum group of 4 of their own IMO.

The pygmy is already there! He's the sole survivor from a group of 5 which were introduced together but then mysteriously disappeared one by one!

Ok... I see your issue, but that fact does not change my opinion or recommendation at all. Pygmaeous act decidedly different than other cories in a proper group.

Back
Top Bottom