seeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright. Thank you a bunch. I was about to go insane. Its been three weeks and no nitrites what so ever. But again, thank you.

Hey, I am the buddy of Eco and now you. I put in about 20 drops of ph down like the tips and tricks article said. Then I added 24 inch bubble wand powered buy a Petco 100 gallon air pump on full blast. I threw in a bottle of safe start ( I think). The bacterial in the bottle didn't hurt anything. I think it worked but I am not gonna argue for its use. The next day, I started seeing nitrates and one week later cycle was complete. My tank is 55 gallons by the way.

Dude I really think your ammonia is the kind with surficants in it. I started seeing nitrites in 10 days. Are you sure your ammonia is without soap or scent additives.

The only thing about the bacteria in a bottle that worries me is the fact that they all say somthing about keeping th ammonia down. I dont want it to cover up the ammonia and give a false reading.

And ill be getting ph down today thank you.

Ill double check when inget home again. Im pretty sure it pure.

There ain't enough chemicals in there to get down 3 or 4 ppm of ammonia. What ya got to lose by trying? 8 or 10 bucks? Check that ammonia. I have a funny feeling. Did you get it from Ace Hardware?

In case its not, ill just go grabe aome shrimp. Any specifics on the shrimp? A jumbo shrimp or tiny. Shell or no shell?

Deckape said:
There ain't enough chemicals in there to get down 3 or 4 ppm of ammonia. What ya got to lose by trying? 8 or 10 bucks? Check that ammonia. I have a funny feeling. Did you get it from Ace Hardware?

I have it in a bottle. I tried it for the first week and all my ammonia dissapered. I have a thread on it somewhere...

If you have soap in there you're gonna have to break it down and rinse everything. As far as the shrimp???? I don't know but whatever you like so you can have supper with the rest.

Deckape said:

No, i think it was from wally world

The ammo removing properties don't actually take it out of the tank, it converts it to a non toxic form that the bacteria actually like even more. Come to think of it...at the end of my cycle I had a pH crash and I added a bottle of TLC Smart Start. I figured it wouldn't hurt (even though I thought it wouldn't help) and a day later all my numbers stabilized. I can't say it had anything to do with the Start Smart, but if you've got a few extra dollars, dump a bottle in. Again, it won't hurt anything and might kick things into gear.

Yeah Deckape. There's no way this tank is plowing through 4ppm and not giving off nitrItes. That's why I'm sure something is missing from this equation.

eco23 said:
The ammo removing properties don't actually take it out of the tank, it converts it to a non toxic form that the bacteria actually like even more. Come to think of it...at the end of my cycle I had a pH crash and I added a bottle of TLC Smart Start. I figured it wouldn't hurt (even though I thought it wouldn't help) and a day later all my numbers stabilized. I can't say it had anything to do with the Start Smart, but if you've got a few extra dollars, dump a bottle in. Again, it won't hurt anything and might kick things into gear.

Hmm. Ill dump some more in then.

Hmm. Ill dump some more in then.

I recommend you check that label of ammonia first. If it has anything other than ammonia in it, then you're at all stop. As far as I know and someone correct me if I am wrong, then you'll never see nitrites. What puzzles me is that you said you saw an ammonia drop and didntsee nitrites. I think its the surficants in the ammonia. I hate to sound like a broken record (CD for you young kids), but what else could it be.

I just told Eco, because I never told him, that my during my cycle, my AC50 had carbon in the back. I wanted to see what would happen. I have since put it in my garden, because it is used up by all that Ammonia I was putting in there. So the carbon didnt cause your ammonia drop in my opinion. So here we are, looking for an answer. I bet a root beer its that ammonia.

Deckape said:
I recommend you check that label of ammonia first. If it has anything other than ammonia in it, then you're at all stop. As far as I know and someone correct me if I am wrong, then you'll never see nitrites. What puzzles me is that you said you saw an ammonia drop and didntsee nitrites. I think its the surficants in the ammonia. I hate to sound like a broken record (CD for you young kids), but what else could it be.

I just told Eco, because I never told him, that my during my cycle, my AC50 had carbon in the back. I wanted to see what would happen. I have since put it in my garden, because it is used up by all that Ammonia I was putting in there. So the carbon didnt cause your ammonia drop in my opinion. So here we are, looking for an answer. I bet a root beer its that ammonia.

Hey! Us "young kids" know perfectly well what a record is!!

I agree that it is probably the ammonia.

Bettababe1011 said:
Hey! Us "young kids" know perfectly well what a record is!!

I agree that it is probably the ammonia.

You kids and that rock and roll music. Haha

Back
Top Bottom