Setting up an aquaclear 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crossthreaded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just setting up an aquaclear 500 for my 55 gallon tank and the box says to use the biological media ontop and the filter underneath it but you have it backwards, does it make any difference?

Nope.

Actually, it would probably better to have the sponge above the biological media.

Since the water enters the media chamber from the bottom, I would actually think it is better to have the sponge on the bottom. It will help keep all the big chunks out of your biological media.

Oh wow, for some reason I thought the water entered through the top.

LMAO, wow....

You're right; it would be better to have the sponge below the biological media.

For reference.

I have since switched the filter floss (the white layer) to after the bottom sponge but before the biological media. This gives the best mechanical filtration prior to hitting the biological media which keeps most of the crud in the first 2 sections.

filterinserts.jpg

There is a reason that the ceramic goes on top, and that is to help keep it clean. The setup in the picture above will, will trap the crud around the ceramic media. The floss between the two sponges is good, but the ceramic should be on top. For years there was no ceramic media, and AC filters worked just fine. A second sponge, is also a good idea as it doubles the bio media, as well as mechanical filtration. It is important to note that the sponges are as much for biomedia, as for mechanical filtration.

I use two sponges in all my aquaclear filters. Ceramic is alright, but no way can it compare to the surface area of a sponge. Also, you can't squeeze ceramic media to help establish a new setup.

Ceramic has amazing surface area, but on the microscopic level. It's very poor at trapping particulates, but has lots of space for bacteria to grow. So if it starts getting clogged up you'll block the channels. Sponge has pretty decent surface area, so it's good for bacteria, but has great channels for trapping particulates.

Personally, on most of my filters, I use sponge to get the big particulates, then filter floss to get all the little stuff, then ceramic for biological filtration.

Sidi said:
Ceramic has amazing surface area, but on the microscopic level. It's very poor at trapping particulates, but has lots of space for bacteria to grow. So if it starts getting clogged up you'll block the channels. Sponge has pretty decent surface area, so it's good for bacteria, but has great channels for trapping particulates.

Ceramic is poor at trapping particulates because it is not meant as mechanical filtration. It's sole job is to provide a surface for the millions of bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrIte to the less toxic nitrAte. They are meant for 2 completely different things.

I just didn't want people to believe toddnbecka's comment that ceramic media has less surface area then a sponge, which is clearly incorrect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom