Setting up an aquarium in an earthquake-prone area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahochan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just relocated to Tokyo, and I want to set up a small aquarium here. It will probably be around 50-60 liters.

My biggest concern right now is that we frequently have earthquakes here. They're usually not very big, but enough to shake the house and sometimes things will fall off shelves. In the short time I've been here, I've only experienced side-to-side quakes, but I'm sure they have the up-down variety as well.

I'm not sure how stable aquariums are when lateral pressure is applied. The last thing I want is the aquarium to topple over in the first little quake. Any tips on setting up an earthquake-safe aquarium and stand?

i would say to find a way to attached the aquarium to the stand i am not sure how to do this and then anchor the stand to the wall. that way the aquarium will only move as much as the wall does. also you may want to look into an eclipse hood becase they cover the entire top of the aquarium and that will help keep the water in.

LOL...I live in California, so I do understand your concern. Japan though seems to be more prone to earthquakes than we are. Make sure any rock work is situated away from the aquarium sides. If you have a glass tank, you may want to change that to acrylic. Though I prefer glass tanks, a rock is less likely to break an acrylic tank if it gets thrown against the side of the tank. Anchor the stand to the wall and anchor the tank to the stand.

Also, it'd be good to make sure nothing is above or around the tank that is heavy enough to damage the tank if it were to fall on it. Protect electrical outlets from splash if the water were to rock a bit over the sides of the aquairum during an earthquake. Perhaps a sheet of plastic over the outlets like a sort of 'suspended' canopy. You don't want to 'smother' any cords or outlets from air...just protect them from splash.

HTH

I would suggest not using an "aquarium stand." Put it on something more sturdy - like a dresser, a desk or better yet a counter-top.

No, experience with earthquakes, but I've got ideas. First I'd think of getting an acrylic tank, more long than tall. If you can get a wood stand of sorts that can be stabalized to the floor or will be very stable. Use something with an extra few inches of space all around when the tank is set on it. Then nail wood strips to what you are using as a stand to make like a four inch rail around the stand. Or get something where the tank can be inset in the stand a good few inches. That way if the tank slides the rail will stop it. And of course don't place it where stuff will fall on it.

Sounds like a real pickle! i live in australia so the thought has never crossed my mind. I just reccomend good home and contents insurance? lol

if you attatch the aquarium to the stand and then anchor it, the force of the water will likely break the tank open instead of moving an inche or two (2-5 cm)

aquakev said:
if you attatch the aquarium to the stand and then anchor it, the force of the water will likely break the tank open instead of moving an inche or two (2-5 cm)

A good example of why an acrylic tank would be best...LOL.

But actually if the earthquake is that big to make water that forceful, I doubt the aquarium would only move a few cm or inches if it weren't anchored to what it sits on. It may end up dancing right off the stand or dresser or counter top. So it seems to depend on the type of earthquake as well as strength and activity time. Certainly there's room here for all sorts of solutions and questions. It's a variable situation so you do the best you can to protect from the common which Japan seems to be the earthquake capital of the world...not California. Our quakes here can get bad, but not like Japan. Their ground seems to be much more unstable and more likely to last longer.

Btw, sorry I'm changing the subject slightly... How is it finding aquarium supplies in Japan? Easy to do or difficult? What type of supplies do you find there. I live with a lot of Japanese students at school and I'm under the impression that they aren't so big on any type of pets there.

Thanks for the tips. I should probably go for a really sturdy low bench which is bigger than the aquarium and some sort of railings on the side. Getting an acrylic tank also seems like a good idea.

As for nailing everything to the wall, I know its quite usual to do that with bookshelves and other stuff that is likely to fall over. On the other hand, landlords here seem to be really sqirmish about any drilling any sorts of holes anywhere. Guess I'll have to do some research on that.

Insurance is another difficult issue. The standard-issue home insurance I have does not cover earthquake damage. That is pretty common, since earthquakes are common enough that there is sure to be plenty of broken chinaware and such all the time. Thus, if the tank were to fall, my problem wouldn't be that I'd have to fork out for a brand new system and start all over again, but that I would probably be liable to cover water damages out of my own pocket. Of course, if I happen to be here when the next "big one" happens, I'll have much bigger things on my mind than my apartment being ruined :)

Btw, sorry I'm changing the subject slightly... How is it finding aquarium supplies in Japan? Easy to do or difficult? What type of supplies do you find there. I live with a lot of Japanese students at school and I'm under the impression that they aren't so big on any type of pets there.

I've only been here for a little more than a month (in Tokyo), and with minimal research I've found several shops. Most are tiny shops with only a minimal selection of fish and supplied. There's plenty of big / huge shops as well, but they tend to be a little less conveniently located (Tokyo isn't exactly a small city). Most seem to sell freshwater, but there are shops that specialize in saltwater as well. The last big shop I went to had an insane selection of Discus in all shapes and sizes.

Aquascaping seems to be really popular here, and some shops specialize in selling plants. I've found one shop that has plenty of really beautiful tanks.

As for supplies, there's plenty of local brands. Tetra seems to be really popular as well, they sell full Tetra starter kits just about everywhere. Prices are generally high, but I have no idea how it compares to for instance the US.

If anyone's interested, this page has a large list of shops in Tokyo:
http://www.tetra-jp.com/proshop/list.php?shp_prfid=13 (in Japanese)

and the lower the stand the better :). or you could put some like cement blocks in the bottom the stand.. just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom