Setting up planted betta nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a little 5 gallon tank which is sitting empty in my kitchen. I'm tempted to set it up with loads of plants and a betta male. As it stands, I'll need a new filter (old one was too noisy) and a heater and light. Any suggestions please as to which plants to get, which heater/filter/light (bearing in mind I don't want to spend a lot of money). I already have 2 aquariums (28g + 66g) but I'm feeling its a waste having this little tank empty!

I used a Marina S10 filter on my betta tank; it worked pretty well.

Light will depend on which plants you want to grow; if you want to stay low-light (anubias, java fern, water sprite) then most any light fixture would do; I even had an LED light on my betta tank with those plants and they all did pretty well.

For a heater, I like the adjustable ones so you can set the right temp.

I have a little 5 gallon tank which is sitting empty in my kitchen. I'm tempted to set it up with loads of plants and a betta male. As it stands, I'll need a new filter (old one was too noisy) and a heater and light. Any suggestions please as to which plants to get, which heater/filter/light (bearing in mind I don't want to spend a lot of money). I already have 2 aquariums (28g + 66g) but I'm feeling its a waste having this little tank empty!

Oh a 5g planted tank for a Betta . . . that'll be a happy Betta. I actually switched my 5.5g & 5g Betta tanks to sponge filters & I & the Bettas are quite happy with them. Bettas don't want or need much current so the sponge filter is great for them. I can't comment on lighting as I haven't gotten that advanced with my tanks. I do have plants; java ferns, banana plants, amazon swords, anachris, water wisteria & a couple that I don't remember what they are. I know many people love the male Bettas because of they're finnage but look at the females, IMO, they tend to have more attitude & personality, just don't put more than one in the 5g because thats too small for a sorority. I have males in individual tanks & females in a sorority in a med-heavy planted 46g tank. Sorry I digressed. :) I have different brands of heaters but I do like the Aqueon 50W for my 5g tanks. Also give your Betta a cave or 2 to hide in. Would love to see a pic when its set up.

Thank you very much for your help! I shall begin with a fishless cycle once I get my equipment sorted and ill definitely post some pictures once I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom