Should I add salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Don't you just love all my questions. Every day it seems I come across some new piece of information. I am very greatful for all the wonderful advice and take it all very seriously.

So, I have 4 Mollies, 3 Platies and will return the 2 CAE for 1 Dwarf Pleco. Do I need to add any salt to the tank? My one Mollie is due soon, would adding salt affect her at all? It is a 35gal Hex.

Also, I tried adding a floating plant but my HOB really moves the water around and the thing really moves a LOT. Would this help for the fry or is it just better on the bottom?

You could make the water slightly brackish, but you don't need to. Although mollies are naturally brackish water fish, they can adapt to live in freshwater or saltwater. That said, their bodies were made to live in brackish water, so they won't have as long a life expectancy in freshwater.

I can't really answer the question about the floating plant and the fry. I've never bred mollies.

Alright, this is stupid but how much salt and what kind? Also, will it effect my Platy's or Pleco? I am considering getting some Angel fish to? Just want to plan ahead.

I suspect your Mollies were bred and born in freshwater and therefore will be fine in fresh water. The other denizens of your tank are fresh water. I would therefore not add any salt to your tank. Save the salt for the time you need to medicate for ich, etc.
Vic

They are more sensitive to nitrates and more susceptible to fungus and finrot in freshwater though - just something to watch out for.

The theory behind aquarium salt in tanks is that it neutralizes some of the effects of nitrates on fish. This may explain why Mollies seem to do worse in freshwater than other fish, unless water is kept extremely clean.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know why mollies are able to go from freshwater -> brackish -> saltwater and why other fish can't...like the science behind it?

It's probably because they naturally live in areas where they may have to go from different extremes in salinity, and they had to adapt.

I see them all the time in the Indian River Lagoon (brackishwater ecosystem not far from me).

Brackish fish seem to be much more tolerant to changes in salinity, probably because they have to face huge swings in the wild. It may not be the best long term, but they will adapt much more rapidly than fish on either end.

And I wouldn't bother with salt for your tank. It isn't necessary, and the swings in salinity (unless you manage it carefully) can be stressful, on top of the pleco not liking salt.

Back
Top Bottom