Should I get another Dojo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon with assorted Rainbowfish, 8 female betta, Honey gourami, cherry barb, Mountain Cloud minnows, 3 balloon mollies, one L. dorsigera, and 2 Golden Dojo loaches. Can I get another one? I am going to the LFS next week and they have some. I enjoy the two I have so much, and they are out and about most of the time. So entertaining and so stinkin' cute! I've heard they only grow to 6" and other places I've seen people say they grow to 12"! That's quite a difference. What do you think? Should I get another one? And tell me how large yours grew!

I would go for a third... In my experience they do well in packs of three. And you have enough room for one more loach.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My dojo loach is just shy of 10" long. He's about 5 years old. We can't buy them in Michigan any more (invasive species list), So he's all alone. He was way more active when he had 2 buddies, but they've died over time. He's still out a lot, and will eat out of my hand sometimes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422123607.896174.jpg
Yeah I know what you mean. When I first bought mine he was always hiding and I never saw him unless I did water changes. When I added two more he was always out and about. Too bad you couldn't get more though. I didn't know they were considered to be an invasive species. Here's a picture of earth and fire. Earth is the bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So cute. But 10 inches long? Wow, I can only imagine three 10" dojos scooting around like mine do about 75% of the time! But yeah. I think I'll go for a third one. Thanks Dbakes.

My dojo loach is just shy of 10" long. He's about 5 years old. We can't buy them in Michigan any more (invasive species list), So he's all alone. He was way more active when he had 2 buddies, but they've died over time. He's still out a lot, and will eat out of my hand sometimes.
Why are they invasive? All they do is clean sand/dirt...

Invasive means not native to an ecosystem they have been introduced to and have established a breeding population disrupting native species. It has nothing to do which their behavior.
exactly, apparently they are quite adaptable to cold environments.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422157340.047179.jpg

I have 1 dojo loach in my 45g tank. From day one he has never once hidden :)(community tank, tetras, rainbow shark, clown pleco) he is always swimming around my tank and loves eating out of my hand. He even rested on my hand once and didn't seem to care and he eats EVERYTHING. He's a little over 5 inches right low. Definitely my favorite fish so far.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Back
Top Bottom