Show fish for a 10 gallon tank. Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not large about 2" large but they're relatively inactive. I'd only fit one in there though. If not you could look at other betta species. The problem with paradise fish is that you generally HAVE to have two otherwise the male will lose coloration quickly. This means a bigger tank (20-30 gallons). But if you're satisfied with just the coloration of a drab male you should be fine.

I think going toward another species of betta is your best bet if you don't want a betta splendens.

edit: I rescind my information...I haven't kept a paradise in almost 5 years. I guess I don't know as much about them as I thought. Looks like they get a lot bigger than I recalled XD. Well That's out of the question....

Really look up on those other Betta species then. There's not much to "show" in a 10 gallon really...some colorful shrimp?

They seem too big for a 5 or 10 gallon

Yeah the 10 gal is an impossibility for me ATM, so I'm looking at a 5g until I am out of college. Any ideas for a 5g?

I thought you said 10 gallon. No fish should be in a 5 gallon IMO not even a betta....
Shrimp tank, my friend. RCS, will breed nicely in a 5 gallon lightly planted tank.

Thats a little extreme, no offense intended. Bettas thrive in them, I think a dwarf gouramai may fit, African dwarf frogs. Tetras also work, microrasboras

I can't stop you from making these decisions but I advise against it. I however STRONGLY disagree with keeping tetras in there. They are really active swimmers and aren't going to last long.

There are things people disagree on but it's your tank and your money. I have no right to force things on you.

Thats a little extreme, no offense intended. Bettas thrive in them, I think a dwarf gouramai may fit, African dwarf frogs. Tetras also work, microrasboras

IMO it's completely out of the question to keep gourami or tetras in a 5 gal tank. I think most fish are not well suited to tanks this size. I do however, agree that microrasbora or a single betta is fine.

Some tetras don't move around as much I thought.. Like neons. And people have mixed opinions on the dwarf gouramai. Why do you say they shouldn't be in there siva?

Crepe said:
I can't stop you from making these decisions but I advise against it. I however STRONGLY disagree with keeping tetras in there. They are really active swimmers and aren't going to last long.

There are things people disagree on but it's your tank and your money. I have no right to force things on you.

Fish keepers are like people in political parties. Some are left and will say you can overstock, and some are right and say you must under stock. You are obviously a person who cares a great deal about their fish, along with siva, and who wants them to be happy at all costs. I really respect that. I don't say you're wrong, I just feel like it's the difference between a wild dog and a domesticated dog. Same breed, but they live and thrive in completely different space requirements

Neon tetras are actually pretty active given the space. And they're pretty large. Mine are all about 1.5 inches long.

Some tetras don't move around as much I thought.. Like neons. And people have mixed opinions on the dwarf gouramai. Why do you say they shouldn't be in there siva?

I have always considered 10 gals pushing it on dwarf gourami. They do OK in there, and there are so few centerpeice type fish to choose from, so I think they are doable in a 10. When I watch my gourami in my 29 gal, and consider his size, not just in length but also girth, his activity level, and his bio-load, he just doesn't seem like the right choice for a 5 gal.
Tetras, especially the small tetras, thrive in groups of 7 or more. A group of 7 full grown neon tetra don't have room to do a whole lot in a 5 gal, even if they are pretty small. Like the gourami, I consider 10 gals already pushing it for them. ;)

Very good explanations :0) thank you.

Yeah yeah. :p far too bad that I can't get one then huh?

oh and i just read the with ghost shrimp you should only get one per gallon bc they can get aggressive towards smaller ghost shrimp so id do abput 4 or 5 with your betta

oh and i just read the with ghost shrimp you should only get one per gallon bc they can get aggressive towards smaller ghost shrimp so id do abput 4 or 5 with your betta

I've heard this too but have kept many ghost shrimp in a small space and never seen it. I'm wondering if they get a bad rep because they pick off the sick and dying....something I've also heard they are known to do. It's possible. Just in case I keep them out of tanks with any ornamental shrimp I consider valuable. I wouldn't worry too much about just ghosts with eachother though (y)

Back
Top Bottom