Show off your snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like my nerites but the eggs can be annoying. Are mystery snails algae eaters?

I have no proof but ever since I've had them in there I've seen no algae in my tank. And no other algae eaters unless cories eat algae.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So for you mystery snails folks what are they like? Are they ok with other snails (nerite, MTS)?

Never kept one before, always interested in something new :whistle:

I really enjoy keeping my mystery snail's, they get on well with other snails my tank has lot's off different breeds including nerites and never have problems . They're really peaceful :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I have no proof but ever since I've had them in there I've seen no algae in my tank. And no other algae eaters unless cories eat algae.

Not actually looking for an algae eater, was just wondering about their diet.

I really enjoy keeping my mystery snail's, they get on well with other snails my tank has lot's off different breeds including nerites and never have problems . They're really peaceful :)

I'm pretty much sold...did some reading, now maybe doing some shopping :whistle:

Not actually looking for an algae eater, was just wondering about their diet.

I'm pretty much sold...did some reading, now maybe doing some shopping :whistle:

Hehe! Shopping :)

I gave all my nerites fancy names like "Sir Spiffington Balderdash." I'm still trying to think of names for my three new ones, though. Any ideas?

Sorry, any fish or snail names here come from my honors student, double major, etc etc college daughter. Kevin was named after the female bird in 'Up' :)

So for you mystery snails folks what are they like? Are they ok with other snails (nerite, MTS)?

Never kept one before, always interested in something new :whistle:

They are pretty much like every other snail but just a couple facts.
1. The blue I have is actually an apple snail. Lots of pet stores sell pomacea diffusa aka Apple snail labeled as mystery snail. The way you can tell if you have mystery snail or Apple snail is only Apple snails breath air. They go up to the surface and will extend a tube above the water line.
2. Apple snails need a male and female to reproduce. I have only ever gotten 1 male out of 6 snails so I finally have egg clutches ?
3. They are really cute lol
Edit- they are probably good with other snails as they don't eat other snails. I feed mine algae wafers. They also get pretty big. One of my girls that I've had for a few months is the size of a golf ball!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I LOVE the fourth picture! That is just awesome! Great shot!

Everybody's pictures are great!

I have 4 nerite 2 zebra and 2 tiger coming today or tomorrow. I'll share some photos in a couple days.

This is Kevin the nerite who is a very active snail:

img_3191345_0_6ccdc689599ef96cc58e81daefeeaff9.jpg

Kevin with a hitchhiker:

img_3191345_1_45cf44db21d5cb0a6e122c6cca2d662e.jpg

Bumblebee nerite and friends:

img_3191345_2_6a77d3e69a18eab879ac4eb8726ee1ed.jpg

Great pictures! how did you get your cholla wood too sink? Mine is driving me crazy! Just keeps floating around the tank :confused:

Great pictures! how did you get your cholla wood too sink? Mine is driving me crazy! Just keeps floating around the tank :confused:

These are 3" pieces. I put them in a basic kitchen bowl with hot water then weighed that down with a smaller bowl. Replaced water when it cooled. It definitely takes a while....

Just ordered a purple mystery...debated on color but I think it'll show up nicely in the 16g.

Just ordered a purple mystery...debated on color but I think it'll show up nicely in the 16g.

I think you'll be pleased, they get pretty big and they're so fun to watch. And to weigh in on your question about diet, in my experience they're pretty much little garbage disposals.

Mine will eat anything I throw in there it seems, including but not limited to any kind of green (green beans favored, but I haven't tried zucchini yet and supposedly they love those), invert pellets (got mine from Aquatic Arts), algae wafers, old fish food, waste, dead leaves. I had an Endler pass and found that halfway in its mouth as well.

Eating a green bean below :D Ignore the pushy betta:
Betta Videobomb

Sitting at my desk and just saw this MTS/bumblebee nerite interaction:

img_3191426_0_605f57a4398be8d4859819515374fe58.jpg

I think you'll be pleased, they get pretty big and they're so fun to watch. And to weigh in on your question about diet, in my experience they're pretty much little garbage disposals.

Mine will eat anything I throw in there it seems, including but not limited to any kind of green (green beans favored, but I haven't tried zucchini yet and supposedly they love those), invert pellets (got mine from Aquatic Arts), algae wafers, old fish food, waste, dead leaves. I had an Endler pass and found that halfway in its mouth as well.

Eating a green bean below :D Ignore the pushy betta:

Omg that's great! My pushy betta never wants me to photograph anything else in the tank, I have yet to get a single shot of the green rasboras!

Which picture did you use? My phone wallpaper is him and the shrimp. The shrimp was adorable. I just couldn't help it. I edited the picture a bit and made the colors more vibrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Kevin is now even more famous. I used that picture for my iPhone wallpaper. I hope you don't mind!

Which picture did you use? My phone wallpaper is him and the shrimp. The shrimp was adorable. I just couldn't help it. I edited the picture a bit and made the colors more vibrant.

No problem, glad you all like it! I've been emailing the college daughter about 'her' Kevin's popularity :)

The original: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427396521.889313.jpg

The edited version: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427396550.154427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom