Sick Scooter Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I do not think my Scooter Blenny has long to live. For the last 2 days he is not moving much and is not eating much. He used to scoot all over the tank. I have had him for a few months. I have a 26 Gal tank with 35 lbs of live rock. I also have in the tank a Royal Gramma, Purple Fire Fish, and a Clown. All of my other fish are fine, as well as all my corals. my water parameters are all with in spec. I think the poor guy is starving. I have read they need a lot of live rock and feed off the rock. He is a picky eater, but did seem to eat the Mysis shrimp when ever I fed that to my tank. Any one know of any other foods to feed a Scooter Blenny?

Thanks,
Mark

how long have you had your tank, i heard scooters need a well established tank with tons of LR. As for other foods im not to sure.

that should be well established. I heard that a lot of blennies that die, die from starvation. Maybe someone with more experience can help. Good luck.

Scooters will usually eat prepared foods well enough but it's not a forgone conclusion. Could possibley be it's just not getting much at each feeding or the mysis is not offering enough nutrition. You might try shutting off the water flow at feeding time to allow the scooter a better opportunity at catching the foods fed as well as soaking the mysis in a good marine liquid vitamin before feeding to bolster nutritional value.

A 26 gal tank is about ¼ the recommended tank size for keeping this type of species. They are very methodical hunters as well as being quite slow. They are often out maneuvered by more aggressive feeders. If the above does not increase it's body weight, you should consider finding it a new home.

Cheers
Steve

Try Ocean nutrition's angelfood preparation. I have had good luck getting scooters to eat this. Will have to try and target feed, like Steve stated they get outcompeted for food because they are so slow.

Back
Top Bottom