smallest tank for breeding bristlenoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the reply! I Tried but the answers are not what i was looking for on google! I will try again though!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thanks for the reply! I Tried but the answers are not what i was looking for on google! I will try again though!

I remember reading a couple of really good articles when I was researching before I got mine. Don't remember what sites they where on but they are out there. :)

jetajockey said:
After the fry get to be 1/2" or so I'd move them. I don't leave fry in a breeding tank, they always go to growout, I think it helps keep the parents happy.

That's what I thought you must have to do. Was having visions of 50 bnp swimming around a 10g tank. Lol.

jetajockey said:
haha. Yeah, when talking breeding it's not really a long term setup so I don't factor in lots of things that I would with a normal tank.

May I ask where all the fish you breed go? Are you a supplier to a LFS or do you just privately sell them on over the net?

i sell some online, and i give away a lot of stuff. I actually just filled out a 75g tank at my kids' school earlier this week.

I currently have a few breeding groups of fish, but it's something I've transitioned away from throughout this year. It is a very time consuming process and not something I could foresee doing long term.

I think i would sell mine to the lfs because i have abt 4 within 10 min of my house so it would be pretty easy.. I want to get 1 albino 1 for my 40 gal, and 1 black and 1 albino for my 10 gal to inter breed! Haha i hope it works!!

jetajockey said:
i sell some online, and i give away a lot of stuff. I actually just filled out a 75g tank at my kids' school earlier this week.

I currently have a few breeding groups of fish, but it's something I've transitioned away from throughout this year. It is a very time consuming process and not something I could foresee doing long term.

Ok cool. Was wondering because I know you have alot of tanks and sell stuff here. So I got courious. :D

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I think i would sell mine to the lfs because i have abt 4 within 10 min of my house so it would be pretty easy.. I want to get 1 albino 1 for my 40 gal, and 1 black and 1 albino for my 10 gal to inter breed! Haha i hope it works!!

You can get a fair bit of money sometimes. I traded 8 half inch guppy fry into my LFS and got $13. Have to say I was quite impressed!

Hi been busy on here:fish2:. A 10 gallon be fine for a pair of B/Ns but if they get to big then moving them to a bigger tank would be a good idea. I have two breeding pairs one pair is over 4 inches long and they live in a five footer,the other pair are barely 2 and a half inches long and they are in my four footer. I would say a bigger tank would be better,but if they are given enough hiding places and feed well and the water changes are kept on top off then i see know problem. B/Ns do not eat there fry,but are quite prolific breeders once they get going so a plan for moving the fry would be advisable once they get big enough to move.

Ohh ok thanks you answered all of my questions!! Haha and i could get diff trypes and they would interbreed?? Is it hard to get a male and female to pair up??? How will i know if they do? Thanks!!

Hi you will not know for sure when the have bred,but usually the male will be noticeable by his absence,he will be guarding the eggs. My male is currently guarding some eggs,i can just see him sat under a piece of wood:cool: I have never bred albinos,but would guess they revert to there natural colour? But if you do try this idea please keep us informed of your progress:) I shall try and get some photo's of him and a baby or two:):fish2:. My tank ended up with rather allot of baby B/Ns. The larger ones will pick on the smaller ones,so look to move on the larger ones when they have bred again:). Its fun catching the little devils as they can move pretty dam fast LOL!:lol:

Hahaha thanks for the info! My 10 gallon is full of tiny little snails! Is this a problem for bns? And my 10 gallon has a bit of ammonia that i need to fix! The real problem is convincing my brother to try the idea!! Haha

Hi i would try and remove some of the snails as they can be a pain,but will not harm or interfere with the B/Ns:)Do you know why you have an ammonia problem? Tell your brother it will make him rich LOL well you never know??:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom