snail infestation prevention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Snail infestations seem to be a recurring issue that pops up from time to time on the boards. The most common pest snail, the pond snail, typically likes to hitchhike on live plants.

Often times, I see the suggestions for removing or controlling the population by:

- adding a clown loach or two to the tank (not good for small tanks)
- adding a few assassin snails to the tank
- the lettuce trick; add a piece of lettuce to the tank floor overnight, then remove it and any snails on it
- avoid overfeeding your fish; overfeeding will lead to a snail population explosion

I don't, however, see much discussion on how to avoid getting the pest snails in the first place. I figured I'd post a few thngs I try to do to avoid getting unwanted snails, and see if others had ideas as well.

- One of the LFS I buy my plants from has clown loaches in the tanks where they house the majority of their plants for sale. Buying from stores who wisely stock their plant tanks like this can minimize the chance you'll pick up a snail hitchhiker.

- I'll inspect the tank with the plants as closely as possible before buying. Not even remotely foolproof, but I figured if they have a snail problem, it would be fairly obvious.

- I soak my plants for 10+ minutes in a warm saltwater solution, then rinse them off in declorinated water before adding them to my tank. I saw this suggested once as a way to kill off any snail eggs on the plants. So far, I have no snail problems, so there could be some truth to this method.

- I've seen others suggest dipping plants in bleach, then rinsing them off before adding them to the tank. I've also read that some plants may not be able to survive a bleach bath.

Any other suggestions?

I've heard dipping the plants in hydrogen peroxide for a couple seconds will take care of snails.

I have a snail infestation right now, but it's not too bad. It's easy and painless to crush the small ones, and the fish and shrimp go crazy for the remains.

I don't mind snails. I have quite a few. They aren't a problem. But, a quick dip in h2o2 will take care of them, and most plants do fine with it... actually all plants may. I've also heard that dipping them in KMnO4 will work as well.

Last edited:
If you really don't want hitchikers, just dip your plants. If you do a bleach dip, be careful however, as some plants don't like it at all - common anacharis is usually one. It'll seem fine at first, but after a few days it will look pretty awful.

I've never done a KMnO4 dip but I hear that it'll do the trick without damaging plants at all.

Back
Top Bottom