snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started out with 3 snails I dont even know what kind of snails they are. and guess what I have been pulling little ones out left and right i gave my sister about 30 the other day and yesterday I pulled out 58 and I have gotten out another 30 today. I think they mate worse than rabbits. Is there any fish I can get that will eat the snails? I want them OUT.
Thanks for the help....

If its for your 55 gallon you can try 3 yoyo loaches. They only get to be about 4-5" so they will fit in a 55. Clown loaches would work as well but they will eventually get too large for your tank.

If you want to remove more of them, put a peice of green leafy food at the bottom, turn the lights out wait an hr or so, come back in and they will be crawling all over the food, Scoop and remove :)

sorry this is off topic, not trying to hijack, but JC, i have MTS in my tank and i just recently noticed i had one that looks like the Ramshorns.. adn then a few weeks letter i notice there are 3 of them!!!! do ramshorns breed out of control??? I like the MTS , but will the Ramshorns be bad for my aquarium?

Jchillin said:
Interested in identifying the type of snails you have. They sound like ramshorns. Do they look like this? Look

I went down this morning and scooped out 100 more baby snails. I cant wait to get rid of them. I am posting a picture of what they look like. The picture isn't the greatest but I hope yous get the just of it. I have no idea what snails they are, but I know i only started out with 3.

Attachments

• snail_417.jpg
    snail_417.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 149
  • snail_2.jpg
    snail_2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 148
an,

it depends on what kind of ramshorn they are. the small red ramshorns i have are great algae eaters and will not munch plants. the marisa giant colombian ramshorn will eat plants.

thanks crazycat

cougargirl.. those are definitely pond snails... and a few clown loaches would do the trick, you just have to have a bigger tank to move them up to... maybe some other type of loaches will work? NOt sure but its worth a try.

I don't have any pond snails so i don't know how bad or beneficial they can be, but i can tell you that the MTS are very beneficial in keeping the substrate cleaned becuase they burrow into it. Even my gravel. And my clown loaches don't bother the bigger MTS becasuse they have tough snails, but im pretty sure they eat the larvae/babies.

ok what ever you do, don't use "snail-b-gone" or "snail-a-way" or anything like that, we did at the pet store I worked at and ended up with some snail only tanks. they bred twice as fast with those chemicals in the water.. we were astonished. We finally just physically removed them by hand. That worked best.. plus get some fish that dine on snails..

I have the same Invasion..My snail look like the ones you have..Can't get rid of them..they came from some horn wort plant i got when my frey hatched..now I can't control them..Im gona try the leafy idea..

Major Snail Invasion

Ok well I dont' know what to do..but the Snails are out of control.. I have tried everything short of starting a new tank..I don't want to use chemicals to get rid of them because i have heard this doesnt' work anyhow.
I thought i could just pluck them out..and actually thought i was winning the battle and then in just 2 days of beeing out of town..i am back ot over a hundred snails..my rasbora's love eating them once you crush them and if there small enough..but I am really sick of these things..there everywhere..

what can I do here...HELP

thanks

Back
Top Bottom