Snails like to jump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACoS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

About few days ago i started to knowest that few of my snails are falling off walls, rocks.. some manage to get back up.. but some are flipped upside down. Once they're upside down, are they able to flip themselve back up? or is this a sign of death? Most of these snails are Mexican Turbo Snail.. they're pretty big in size.. yesterday i left one alone just to see if it can manage to flip himself back up without my help.. but this morning i found its SHELL EMPTY!

naw these dudes are pretty clumsy they fall off all sorts of things all the time. If you dont flip them over they will die though =(. Also snails, if not acclimated well, can die slowly because of internal rupturing due to a fast salinity change (or they could have already been starving at the lfs).

thanks! this doesnt happen alot, just once in awhile. Better keep my eye sharp for any upside down shell :D

Empty shell, probably a hemit crab meal. They are easy prey when they flip.

saw 2 hermit crab beside it this morning.. kinda got me thinking if its a death sign or a free dinner for hermit crabs. Well.. NO MORE free dinner for you! $*%(@ gotta say it was kinda my mistake too :oops:

I right them when I see them flipped. Havn't even come close to catching them all. More than a few empty turbo shells in my tank.

Even though it seems pretty common in all tanks, I think I read somewhere that low calcium can be a cause of this too.

Back
Top Bottom