So I have a thought here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a thought here... I was just in my LFS where they have 3 GIGANTIC damsels. I thought about buying all three of them and see how the Wrasse reacts to them. It would be kind of a test to see how territorial he is after being in there alone for a year. According to the owner Damsels can hold their own and are pretty aggressive. Only thing is I'd only be using them for a couple weeks for a test and if they survived I'd probably have a very difficult time getting them out of the tank with all that live rock in my aquarium, no?
Maybe the Wrasse will take care of them and I won't have to worry about it. :lol: j/k

Anyway it would be a test... he may not do anything at all and just leave them alone. I'd rather use a couple damsels then my beautiful beautiful King Emperor Angel, ya know? lol.

Also not to ask to many questions in one post but how do you think Tang would do against the Wrasse or in my tank for that matter?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

The guy at my LFS is willing to pass one the Wrasses size to me for free because of a slight diformity. He claims it does not interfere with his health so I might just take him because he's a nice size and I think the Wrasse, the tang and Emp angel would be a nice combo! :)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
The only bad thing about that is if you need to take the damsels out you`ll probably have to tear the tank apart to get them. Anytime you have LR it`s hard to catch them.

Yeah I thought about that, unfortunately they're the easiest and most affordable fish to test. I guess I wanna take my chances and I guess if I have to destroy my rock so be it. I can always put it back together.

I don't want to end up putting in some $100 fish and having the Wrasse eat it or something lol. Or could I just leave the damsels in for good if it worked out?

Steve

I had a six-line wrasse in my tank alone for about 2 months. I just put a mated pair of clowns in the tank and he did not give them a second thought. 1 week in and he can often be seen swimming with the clowns. they all seem to be buddies.

I wouldn't worry with the damsels. just move some rock around to make it look a little different and the wrasse will think he is new to the tank too.

I don't want to say that fish are dumb.....but.....

I had a six-line wrasse in my tank alone for about 2 months. I just put a mated pair of clowns in the tank and he did not give them a second thought. 1 week in and he can often be seen swimming with the clowns. they all seem to be buddies.

I wouldn't worry with the damsels. just move some rock around to make it look a little different and the wrasse will think he is new to the tank too.

I don't want to say that fish are dumb.....but.....

It's not so much the damsels I'm concerned about, it's the little Emperor I'm concerned about putting in. I might just divide the tank off for a while for him to get bigger. First though I wanna try a few damsels... now the damsels won't give the Wrasse or the Emperor any trouble will they? lol I've heard their aggressive little buggers. :p

Steve

Steve, I think you will only end up with three more fish that might harm your Angel fish. A partition is a better bet,imo...

wow. I thought there would be great debate about this.

Why don't you just rearrange the Wrasse home so he no longer has a territory?
If you have to rip it down to get the Damsels, it may be more humane than getting a fish just to test (unless you are a scientist). Play with the Wrasse's head and move his home. He 'may' be a little calmer!

Steve, you are also taking a chance by not QTing your fish either. That blue tang would be very small too. You got some hard choices to make.

I think he'll be fine with a Blue Tang in there, he's not really as aggressive as I make him out to be. He just is with his food so I just assumed he'd be with another fish. He really is a very friendly fish, with people anyway. But actually the Blue Tang I'm thinking about buying is the same size as the Wrasse so that is a plus where as the Emp I bought is wayyy to small to go into the aquarium now.

So maybe I'll pass on the damsels and go with the Blue Tang? Or get the damsels and the tang?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom