starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colleen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my 90gal reef, I have what appears to be starfish.popping up everywhere in the tank. Are these real starfish or some kind of filter feeder ?? They are small (diameter of a pen/pencil)beige in color. Are they harmful?

They are algae grazers. The size is about what you see. I suspect my triggers eat them, as I put them in my 180 from my 55 when they get too plentiful. They should graze them selfs down to a stable level.

Hmmm I disagree as to them being completely harmless. I consistently witness their appetite behaviors veering towards coral and not just as a secondary beneficiary. I would observe their "tendencies" mindfully and not let their populations get out of control in a reef tank.

I have heard of the ones that will munch corals. I could be wrong here, but the ones that are harmless tend to hang out on the glass and are not really "hidden"....
Of course, these are all just guesses without a pic....

I`ve hundreds and have never seen them messing with my corals. That`s just me but I`ve also given some to many folks and they have not had any problems. JME

I have tons of them as well and have never seen any of them on any coral.

Just to be clear you are talking about small starfish white/tan in color?

Here is a pic I took of them on my side glass.

100_0616.JPG

Back
Top Bottom