Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mfdrookie your tank looks great!

I have a question, how has been your experience with the Kerri tetras? I heard that they can be aggressive towards other fish in a community tank. Is it true?

The Kerri tetras are the same as the emperor tetras?

I've never seen any aggression towards tankmates. They nip at each other a little, but nothing severe. They haven't touched my cories, guppies, or my angels (when I had angels).

They are not emporer tetras, at least not from what I've read. severum mama could probably tell you better. I think maybe some people call them something emporers?

Kerris are Inpaichthys kerri. Emperors are Nematobrycon palmeri. The confusion is interjected because they do look somewhat similar and kerris are often called Emperors or blue emperors mistakenly.I've never seen any aggression from kerris. We've kept them with angels, apistos, a dozen or so other tetra species, cories, plecos, otos, etc.

HN1 said:
Kerris are Inpaichthys kerri. Emperors are Nematobrycon palmeri. The confusion is interjected because they do look somewhat similar and kerris are often called Emperors or blue emperors mistakenly.I've never seen any aggression from kerris. We've kept them with angels, apistos, a dozen or so other tetra species, cories, plecos, otos, etc.

Gosh...you're so smart!

Nope. Just have them in side by side tanks so I googled a few months ago. lol

Ok. So how many fish do I owe ya? lol

Dude, your tank easily rivals any that I've put together. I'm just a fish geek. You obviously have skills.

Some new additions to the tank. Though I'm pretty certain they're just visitors unless somebody says its ok to keep them here. I couldn't pass up the deal I got on these and this was the direction I was taking for my 125 anyways. I'm just not totally comfortable putting fish in my 125 yet.

3x- Goyder River rainbows
1x- Praecox Rainbow
1x Turquoise Rainbow

img_1268762_0_5b2abc3dd2b63e0c9ea8fd693f53f714.jpg

img_1268762_1_cc0597d870cc5e4d24af9be5aa90d394.jpg

img_1268762_2_d9ea6b7642ac57d6b9731b5051284cb7.jpg

and a fts
img_1268762_3_345c3028dced4b844528488809a48ac5.jpg

The pics aren't the best quality (iPhone pics), and the fish haven't really colored up much yet. They were gorgeous in the lfs tank, so I know they're going to look even better in a nice planted tank.

Anyhoo, what do you guys think? Rainbows in a 40? The plan is to move them to the 125 and up the quanitity... Do a big bunch of rainbows and a group of tetras of some sort. But... If they'll work in this tank... I'll just keep em here.

Oh.. and amazingly I counted at least a donzen RCS tonight. I was convinced that almost all of them had been eaten. They were still ghost shimp colored when I got them, but they're bright red and have grown tremendously in the week or so that I've had them!

Thanks... and thank you too HN1. I am honestly surprised that my tank looks as good as it does. I have a very limited background with plants. My failed lowlight planted attempts disheartened me, but something drew me back. Other than the algae, I am very pleased. I still don't think my tank looks real good, but it definitely looks better than I ever thought it would! I honestly have to give fort a lot of credit. We've exchanged hundreds of PM's, spent hours in chat, and went back and forth on this thread a lot. I've had help from others too, so anybody who has put their $.02 in on this thread and my other one, I really appreciate it. HN1 and severum mama sent me some awesome fish. You guys are great people. I've said it before, but if it weren't for you guys helping me out when I first started, I probably wouldn't have aquariums at this point.

You'll have more room for more rainbows in the 125. You can have a really sweet bow tank in a 6 footer. They'll be colored up like crazy and spawning all the time. :p

*edit* Fort definitely deserves a lot of credit. He's been all over the planted tank forums helping out a ton of people lately as you obviously know. :)

Tank looks great!!!! I just put some blue shrimp in my plant tank and just have to wait for the stem bunches to root so I can plant everything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

You'll have more room for more rainbows in the 125. You can have a really sweet bow tank in a 6 footer. They'll be colored up like crazy and spawning all the time. :p
Would the three goyder rivers be ok in this tank? As you know, I'm definitely not the kind of person to mistreat fish. If you say maybe, I won't keep them there. I've just kind of given up on angels and for some reason am drawn to the rainbows.

On a side note, they have some smaller rainbows (madagascar?) and some peacock gudgeons as well. I can get either to replace these if you think that would be better. I'm of course keeping these, but would they appreciate the extra 3' of swimming space a lot more?

LOL... if you like rainbows, you need these:

DSC_0023.JPG

Melanotaenia kamaka. These are juvies and have not reached their full blue potential. :p

as of the angels you were talking about

i have a pair and they work perfect together ...not aggressive what so ever ....

Back
Top Bottom