Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, that's how I always learn things. The hard way after I make a mistake. Live and learn.

I once told one of my professors that I learn from my mistakes. His response was "You must be one smart man" lol

I rarely learn from my mistakes. Takes about three trials before I finally get stuff right (leaning towards relationship stupidity, here). That's a great response from your professor, haha

Ok what is the plant in the center. Sort of looks like a Lilly. It's really interesting. I keep reading posts about fighting hair algae with co2. that confuses me a little. Doesn't the algae use the carbon also? I have avoided it aside from a few experiments. Or is it that the plants can't use all the extra light as efficiently as the algae can without carbon?

Ok what is the plant in the center. Sort of looks like a Lilly. It's really interesting. I keep reading posts about fighting hair algae with co2. that confuses me a little. Doesn't the algae use the carbon also? I have avoided it aside from a few experiments. Or is it that the plants can't use all the extra light as efficiently as the algae can without carbon?

Sure, algae will use co2. But the plants, when everything is in balance, will out-compete the algae for food/fuel and will cause it to die off.

I'm sure there is a more scientific explanation than "out-competing" but I don't feel like looking it up right now :)

Ok what is the plant in the center.
Not quite sure which one you're talking about. And which picture you're talking about. But... In the most recent picture, the plants in the middle are crypt wendtii up front, then ludwigia back in the back and some pennywort creeping out on top

I just ordered the pumps and timer for PPS Pro. $66 shipped for two mini jet 606's and the hamilton dual timer. Hopefully will have this set up the beginning of next week (all of next weekend will be devoted to turkey hunting :))

I just ordered the pumps and timer for PPS Pro. $66 shipped for two mini jet 606's and the hamilton dual timer. Hopefully will have this set up the beginning of next week (all of next weekend will be devoted to turkey hunting :))

:( Gobble.

On a serious note, beautiful tank! :)

mfdrookie516 said:

That didn't take long! :) You won't regret it! Now you just have to remember to make new batches before it runs dry. I get about 15 days worth out of my containers.

Gods luck on the hunt!

I made a concentrated solution so mixing up new jugs is a breeze... just measure out 50mL of the concentrate, and add to a fresh gallon of distilled water, and viola, ready for another 3 weeks or so of dosing. The concentrate jugs seem like they are going to last me about 2 years before I will have to get the scale back out and make more.

I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm seriously considering moving my cylinder and regulator over to my 125 and using 5g buckets... Not sure yet. Not worth spending $10+ dollars on little tiny containers when 5g buckets are $2 each

Yeah, understand that. For me, the cabinet is tiny, so I had to have very tall containers with a very small footprint. It added a bit of cost to the setup, vs. just being able to use the cheapest container I could find that would suffice.

Plus, the bigger the container, the less frequently you will have to fill it.

I heard of people using the tom's aqualifter for dosing. It's 3gph and would be much more controlled than a fountain pump...

Yeah would mean less dosing solution too. Not sure on the price difference but definitely worth checking into.

I'm not checking in to it. I've already ordered it. If it is cheaper, I don't want to know. Don't tell me either way. 'la la la la la la la la la' I'm not listening to you... 'la la la la la la la la la'

Back
Top Bottom