Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spent the day here and there reading this thread...enjoyed seeing the transformation of the tank..your final setup really flows very well..love it...do you mind having all the snails??? thats the one thing i hate more then anything are the snails...i find them gross...lol

Well thanks guys!

As far as the snails, they are semi-intentionally there. As in, I put the MTS in there, and didn't really try to avoid the pond and ramshorn snails. I actually like them quite a bit.

Odd question here...

Is there such thing as Red Beard Algae? I have what appears to be BBA, well I have tons of BBA, but there are a few patches on one of my anubias leaves that is red.

I've cranked my co2 up and im sitting between 35-40ppm co2 and spot treating with H2O2 every other day or so. I think the co2 is really helping, but this red stuff is really odd.

That is dead/dying BBA most likely. It will turn a reddish color as it dies back.

Oh... then awesome! My glosso is slowly ridding itself of the bba as well. Thanks for the recommendation on upping the co2!

Now... as far as RCS go... do they molt frequently? I've been seeing what I first thought were dead shrimp, but I see the 'dead shrimp' only hours after I last looked at the tank. Seems like they'd need considerably more time to decompose. You think I'm most likely seeing molting? They do molt, right?

BBA is classified as a red algae, but it's usually greyish-black. As fort said, it's probably dying. I had some hair algae turn magenta after an H2O2 treatment.

Hmmm... odd that its classified as red, yet has black in the name. Well, it's definitely good to know its dying. In the past, it has always turned a greysh white when dying. Maybe its the co2 killing it that is turning it red since i didn't treat the area im talking about with h2o2?

Well thanks guys!

As far as the snails, they are semi-intentionally there. As in, I put the MTS in there, and didn't really try to avoid the pond and ramshorn snails. I actually like them quite a bit.

cool...i really hope i dont get any..no offense...i wish i can learn to enjoy them or like them just a little..especially sense i have sand as well

At first, everyone is scared of them because of the thinking that they take over a tank. Not the case as long as you feed properly IME.

As far as the algae... NO algae is pretty algae ;)

UPDATE!

The BBA is slowly dying out. The increase in Co2 has really helped.

I finished my autodosers. My dosing is much more than what others are getting, I have a big gap between full (250ml) and empty (100ml), so we've (well, mainly fort) decided that it would be best to average full and half and keep it above the half way mark to keep some consistency. But, they're set up and running, so hopefully this will alleviate the massive hair algea problem.

Pictures of the autodosers... and a couple of blurry pics my rianbows as they are really starting to color up.

img_1305092_0_92a37bdf616712972d18541b20226d40.jpg

img_1305092_1_819aef04a7aba0abf909a0b874e87ebf.jpg

img_1305092_2_baa0275a59e585dbc82be485648adb01.jpg

img_1305092_3_9987b7694b434b612f04ba65dbbb026c.jpg

img_1305092_4_701c689e299525318ae8363a2399953e.jpg

img_1305092_5_668078cc92f430705dc5912dc180d6e3.jpg

img_1305092_6_b21cc72eae0adcaabf5500920626d19d.jpg

img_1305092_7_7467c4b571d3ad645cbe4aa846bcd2c8.jpg

Looking good! I bet the extra volume in the containers is causing your large range of dosing sizes. I have been thinking about clamping the ends of the tubing shut a little so I can get more doses out of my containers. I've also built some shelves for mine so they are closer to the tank (about 28" below top of the tank).

Just be careful for the first few weeks, keep a close eye on them. I had mine start dosing like 300ml+ of my micros and had some hair algae show up. It would probably make your existing hair algae explode if that happened to you. A few PWC's and it was back to normal though.

I've actually thought about getting a valve to put on the tubing. I figured the extra back pressure would cause the dosage to be smaller... however, I think I'm going to test it this way first. Poor fort had to do some guesswork for me to try and get an accurate grams to teaspoon conversion as I don't have a scale yet. I figure I'll need to tweak my dosing a little.

On the plus side... today is water change day. I plan on doing a nice healthy treatment of h202, manual removing some hair algae, and getting things back on track.

So a little advice for the shrimp and snails, get a cuttle bone, you can buy them for cheap at any pet store, grind up a little bit and sprinkle it into your water. The CO2 cuts back their ability to create calcium for shells/ exo-skeleton. I'm trying to find the link where I read about that. However, shrimp do need the calcium regardless, but something about CO2 doing something to lessen the calcium. Grrrrr gotta find it now.

Back
Top Bottom