Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm.. I'll definitely look for some, gotta stop by petsmart for an emergency supply of root tabs. Odd though, since don't they use co2 for calcium reactors in sw tanks???

What a great idea about cuttlebones! They also sell already ground up calcium supplements for herps and birds, I believe...

The CO2 and calcium will combine to create calcium carbonate....which is what the snails need to make their shells. Unfortunately, its highly insoluble. So perhaps the filter is filtering all the CaCO3 out of the water...?

The tank looks fabulous, as per usual, Jonathan! I'd sneak over and steal it, hair algae and all, assuming I could carry it, heehee!

On the other hand, that CO2 system looks so complex...makes me nervous =/

Thanks ;)

Co2 isn't that complicated. I made it that way by overanalyzing everything. It's seriously as complicated as a cylinder, a regulator, a needle valve, a bubble counter, a reactor or diffuser, and a method of testing (drop checker).

Yup I agree. Pressurized CO2 takes about 20-30 minutes to setup, and after that it is virtually maintenance free between swapping out tanks (which last for months).

Thanks ;)

Co2 isn't that complicated. I made it that way by overanalyzing everything. It's seriously as complicated as a cylinder, a regulator, a needle valve, a bubble counter, a reactor or diffuser, and a method of testing (drop checker).

Wait...that's simple? Hahaha, seriously, I have assigned my husband the task of CO2 set up for my tank...we'll see what he comes up with! :) He said he doesn't understand the function of the bubble counter...

LOL...that would be why he thinks it sounds like" extra parts."

So why don't you just measure the CO2? Isn't that what the drop meter is for? Sorry for hijacking :p

Needle valves are very sensitive. It helps to see the bubble count to adjust the flow. It can be done without a bubble counter, but in my experience, it makes it a lot easier to have it. It is functional...

Its a vital part... you have no way of dialing in your co2 without it. If you need to up the co2, and you're currently running 2 bubbles per second, without the bubble counter, its just a guess as to how much to turn the needle valve. With the bubble counter, you can see that you've went from 2bps to 3bps or whatever. It comes with most regulators. I only paid $89 for my regulator, bubble counter, needle valve, and 25' of co2 tubing.

EDIT: We have a tendency to double post

Last edited:
I think we just don't quite get how the set up works...anyways, I'll post more about it later when I actually get that far in my set up :) Then we can hijack my thread instead! :)

And... on an unrelated note...

I just got looking in my tank and noticed what looked like a shrimp eating a shrimp. Turns out it was a male and female. Upon closer inspection, I've found 6 females that are absolutely full of eggs. Exciting!

Shew. Today is frustrating. I just trimmed half my glosso out to rid myself of some nasty hair algae, go to look at my co2 and its empty! I'm willing to bet I had a leak, since I didn't leak test it. Ugh. Now, I can't get co2 until tomorrow. I'm half tempted to just shut the lights off for the day.

mfdrookie516 said:
Shew. Today is frustrating. I just trimmed half my glosso out to rid myself of some nasty hair algae, go to look at my co2 and its empty! I'm willing to bet I had a leak, since I didn't leak test it. Ugh. Now, I can't get co2 until tomorrow. I'm half tempted to just shut the lights off for the day.

I'm sorry to hear that...

How do you test for leaks?

Yeah, I would test it ;). You might be surprised how many joints you may need to tighten.

That's bad news for me. I was just going to PM you about a trade for some glosso. My deal for a 4"x4" patch fell through (dang local guys buying my plants!). Also my 4"x4" patch of riccia was a complete waste of money. Took three days to get <10 miles and it was all dead. :(

Back
Top Bottom