Stingray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could someone help with identifying this stingray for me. I've read conflicting answers in the net. I saved him from someone else's tank. I know it's going to get big and I know it's going to need a very large tank. I just needed to get it out of the situation it was in. They had it in a 29.

Attachments

• image-1791122912.jpg
    image-1791122912.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 149
It looks like a faded Pearl ray. The patterning looks like it, but could you get a closer picture, maybe more from the top?

I was told a teacup only is the size of a small ray and not the species. How big do theses guys get I may keep him.

fadetoblack06 said:
I was told a teacup only is the size of a small ray and not the species. How big do theses guys get I may keep him.

I have no experience with rays. But what I've read on here is this: they need sand. Also need a tank with a ton of floor space.

Thanks for the info. One last question. I know that the ray was eating before but how can I tell if it's eating in my tank? Also it's tail looks like its been bitten and it is shorter than before. Will this grow back now?

I will grow back what did u have in the tank with it it will take quite a long time to grow back tho also they are very very hard to look after the require all levels to be 0 and u need a very good filter at least 2000lph

Feeding late when lights have gone out and sinking pellets things like that bloodworm

yea they are very hard to look after even when u no all about them

My plans are getting a 180 or larger come labor day they always have a huge sale at the aquatics store near me.

Also, they're timid eaters. Sometimes you have to hand-feed them if you have other fish that will take their food. I suggest looking up a guide on feeding rays, it's generally not hard but I'd hate for someone to get hurt because they tried PUSHING food towards the ray instead of letting it be gentle.

fadetoblack06 said:
My plans are getting a 180 or larger come labor day they always have a huge sale at the aquatics store near me.

If you can go bigger then you should bigger tanks are always better. I want to build a 4Lx4Wx2H imo it would be better then a 180g and cool too :)

Its definitely a teacup, I used to own one for a brief time (RIP).. mine liked eating ghost shrimp :) haven't tried anything else. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom