Stocking 17 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colloquial penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, new to site & pretty new to keeping fish, so i'm hoping this isn't a stupid question....

Just got a 17 gallon tank and i am hoping to stock it with the following:

3 Lanceolate whiptail catfish

4/5 harlequin rasboras

According to aquariumwiki.com both require a 15 gallon tank, but i have no idea whether this many is pushing it..

Also tank will be heavily planted

Thanks for any help

That should be fine as the catfish would habbit the bottom and the harlis would be in the mid/top. I would recommend smooth gravel or sand so the catfish wont hurt their barbs. You could get away with increasing your harlis to 6.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Great, luckily i already have lots of aquarium sand so that works out nicely..

is the nitrogen cycle the ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate thing? I think i have a basic understanding of cycling a tank (although i cocked it up the first time on my 10 gallon due to taking advice from a pet store). Or is the nitrogen cycle something else?

Great, luckily i already have lots of aquarium sand so that works out nicely..

is the nitrogen cycle the ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate thing? I think i have a basic understanding of cycling a tank (although i cocked it up the first time on my 10 gallon due to taking advice from a pet store). Or is the nitrogen cycle something else?

Youre right yes. Are you going to cycle the tank first or do a fish in cycle?

i'm planning on doing a fish less cycle using fish food as this sounds pretty straightforward and way less stressful than the way i did my current tank - very nearly killed my betta within a week just doing what the store told me to do!

Thanks so much for replying - can't wait to set up the tank

Back
Top Bottom