Stocking a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently set my mom up with a 10 gallon aquarium, to move her betta up from the 2.5 it was in. Right now it is stocked with 3 albino corys, a male betta, and an adf. The betta is a model citizen and has never showed any aggression towards anything. I was looking to add 2-3 mid level fish to give the tank a little more activity. My mom really wants color, not any one color in particular, but just any color. I know with it being a 10 gallon, I am severely limited in the types of fish I can house. I was thanking maybe a few male platys, or balloon mollies. Would these be fine? Or maybe some kind of tetra or rasbora. Or is a 10 gallon now enough room for them?

I recently set my mom up with a 10 gallon aquarium, to move her betta up from the 2.5 it was in. Right now it is stocked with 3 albino corys, a male betta, and an adf. The betta is a model citizen and has never showed any aggression towards anything. I was looking to add 2-3 mid level fish to give the tank a little more activity. My mom really wants color, not any one color in particular, but just any color. I know with it being a 10 gallon, I am severely limited in the types of fish I can house. I was thanking maybe a few male platys, or balloon mollies. Would these be fine? Or maybe some kind of tetra or rasbora. Or is a 10 gallon now enough room for them?

Your very limited. Mollies of any kind will not work. A very beautiful mini fish imo is the galaxy tetra. Give it a google search. You could also stock ember tetras. Or guppies.

Nano fish such a CPD and ember tetras are not good choices to be kept with a Betta or any non-nano fish. Many are too small, too shy, and are easily out completed for food.

With already having a Betta and Cory's in the tank your pretty stocked as it is. Something else to consider is Betta's often have issues with other brightly colored fish in their tanks. It's an individual temperament thing with each individual Betta so sometimes it will work and other times not. Then lastly not a lot of fish species work for a 10g tank. Many are either too active or grow too large as adults. You "might" be able to get by with neon tetras. Many people feel neons shouldn't be in a 10g but I'm one who feels they do fine in that size tank. It's a personal opinion. The thing is if you do add another type of small fish you better have a back up plan in the event the Betta decides he doesn't like any newcomers.

Neon tetras? Nothing with more colour. I have 6 in my 15 currently.

Attachments

• image-3903095501.jpg
    image-3903095501.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 97
With a school of neons, wouldn't I be overstocked? Because I would need 5-6 wouldn't I? A few guppies would work?

With a school of neons, wouldn't I be overstocked? Because I would need 5-6 wouldn't I? A few guppies would work?

Neons have a very small bio-load which is why you could get away with them. Guppy's have a higher bio-load and run a greater risk of the Betta not tolerating them due to their bright color and flowing fins/tail.

Supposedly black neons reach the same adult size as neons but I swear my black neons always got a lot bigger. It's just my experience but I'd stick with plain neons.

Okay thanks. That's more than likely what we will go with.

Back
Top Bottom