Stocking a 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will soon be getting a 25 to upgrade my 10. For stock in my 10 I have cherry shrimp and 10 neons. For the 25 stock I was thinking 2 German blue rams, 6 dwarf rainbows, Fully grown cherry shrimp, And 10 neons. Any thoughts are appreciated the tank will be planted.

I will soon be getting a 25 to upgrade my 10. For stock in my 10 I have cherry shrimp and 10 neons. For the 25 stock I was thinking 2 German blue rams, 6 dwarf rainbows, Fully grown cherry shrimp, And 10 neons. Any thoughts are appreciated the tank will be planted.
Eh, even fully grown RCS are still prey in the eyes of most fish. GBRs I would be worried about, they are cichlids and would LOVE an RCS or two as a midnight snack. Just a reminder (I'm sure you are very aware), GBRs need to be in an aged tank, so they should be put in last.

phoenixkiller said:
Eh, even fully grown RCS are still prey in the eyes of most fish. GBRs I would be worried about, they are cichlids and would LOVE an RCS or two as a midnight snack. Just a reminder (I'm sure you are very aware), GBRs need to be in an aged tank, so they should be put in last.

I disagree. Adult RCS are usually only prey when the fish is big enough (with big enough mouths to eat them). If they are young GBRs, you should be fine. GBRs can be in any tank as long as it is big enough, cycled, and has the right parameters. What do you think the point of putting them in last would be? The only reason I would do that is to minimize aggression if they pair up.

I disagree. Adult RCS are usually only prey for larger fish (with big enough mouths to eat them). GBRs can be in any tank as long as it is big enough, cycled, and has the right parameters. What do you think the point of putting them in last would be? The only reason I would do that is to minimize aggression if they pair up.
Putting them in last will usually mean the tank has been set up for a while and is mature enough to support GBRs. Another downside to keeping RCS in a tank with fish is that they do not have a very long lifespan.

I've tried GBR's and shrimp together a few times, most were eaten (including adults) as soon as they went in. Others lasted a while but over time just dwindled to nothing. I don't know if they were found and eaten, stressed from hiding constantly, or just died of old age and couldn't reproduce effectively.

phoenixkiller said:
Putting them in last will usually mean the tank has been set up for a while and is mature enough to support GBRs. Another downside to keeping RCS in a tank with fish is that they do not have a very long lifespan.
Once the tank is cycled, it is mature enough for pretty much any fish. Could you tell me what you mean by "mature"? And the lifespan of RCS is the same with or without fish, it just depends on if they get bullied or eaten, or if the tank is not cycled or has had parameters.

jetajockey said:
I've tried GBR's and shrimp together a few times, most were eaten (including adults) as soon as they went in. Others lasted a while but over time just dwindled to nothing. I don't know if they were found and eaten, stressed from hiding constantly, or just died of old age and couldn't reproduce effectively.

How old were yours? My young (1. 5 inches) GBRs don't eat my RCS...

Once the tank is cycled, it is mature enough for pretty much any fish. Could you tell me what you mean by "mature"? And the lifespan of RCS is the same with or without fish, it just depends on if they get bullied or eaten, or if the tank is not cycled or has had parameters.
Mature as in "Aged", and I read that GBRs really enjoy older tanks, and tend to do better in them. When did you get your GBRs? Did you seriously get them right after the tank was cycled?

phoenixkiller said:
Mature as in "Aged", and I read that GBRs really enjoy older tanks, and tend to do better in them. When did you get your GBRs? Did you seriously get them right after the tank was cycled?

What is the point of letting the tank age? What difference does it make? I got my GBRs 1 month after I re-set up my tank. I decided to change the stocking, and recycled it.

I think what he means by aged is that the tank is more stable than a newly cycled therefore it is less prone to spikes that kill and stress fish.

As for the shrimp I will try see if it works if it doesn't big deal it's just to add some life. I still need to get the tank first of all. I'm looking on kijiji for good deals.

I like to plan ahead so everything Kinda goes smoothly when I get the tank.

I think what he means by aged is that the tank is more stable than a newly cycled therefore it is less prone to spikes that kill and stress fish.

As for the shrimp I will try see if it works if it doesn't big deal it's just to add some life. I still need to get the tank first of all. I'm looking on kijiji for good deals.

I like to plan ahead so everything Kinda goes smoothly when I get the tank.
Yeah, that's what I meant. A aged tank is less prone to spikes, and can take new fish without the ammonia rising measureably.

It will be planted with about t5 ho 48 watt lighting should I do black sand and root tabs or flourite black sand. I'm open To other suggestions if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom