Stocking Compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I may be getting a new to me 26 gallon bowfront soon. I want to do kinda a nano thing with itr. Im not sure if these fish are compatable though. I know Scarlet Badis can be hard to feed and I dont want to starve them. Here is what I was thinking:
6x Scarlet Badis
6x Hatchet fish (do they all have to be the same color to school?)
6x Black Kuhli Loach
6-8x Gold ringed danios
4x Dwarf crayfish
And a colony of rcs and maybe blue tiger shrimp

This may be overstocked. I havent even given that much thought plus Im not sure what kind of bio-load these fish have. So do you think they are compatable and is it overstocked? Also if it is understocked could I add a school of pygmy corydoras?

Thanks in advance and God bless!

I think the crayfishj would eat your shrimp i think you should just go for the shrimp personally. Also im not too sure on the fish ill let an expert get that :D

I had one dwarf cray and he left my rcs alone.... but that was because they were smart enough to swim away lol

So I may be getting a new to me 26 gallon bowfront soon. I want to do kinda a nano thing with itr. Im not sure if these fish are compatable though. I know Scarlet Badis can be hard to feed and I dont want to starve them. Here is what I was thinking:
6x Scarlet Badis
i wouldn't do 6... maybe just a pair. they'll eat micro-organisms on rocks and such.
6x Hatchet fish (do they all have to be the same color to school?)
i would imagine sticking to one color would be best, unless they're just color morphs in which case they'd be fine with different colors.
6x Black Kuhli Loach
i would cut that number to three.
6-8x Gold ringed danios
keep it at 6 and you're good.
4x Dwarf crayfish
what type of crayfish? if you'd like to keep some in this tank i'd reccomend CPO's. they stay small and will leave your other fish alone.
And a colony of rcs and maybe blue tiger shrimp
with your stock you'll be fine with adult shrimp, but make sure to have lots of hiding places for fry. also, pick either or on the species... if i'm thinking right when you say blue tiger, you can't have two species of neocardina in the same tank or they will interbreed and produce a nasty color morph.
This may be overstocked. I havent even given that much thought plus Im not sure what kind of bio-load these fish have. So do you think they are compatable and is it overstocked? Also if it is understocked could I add a school of pygmy corydoras?
i think you are perfectly fine. i wouldn't add the cory's however, as with both crays, shrimp, and loaches on the bottom, cory's would be too much.

Thanks in advance and God bless!
my thoughts in bold. :)

my thoughts in bold. :)
I heard that the loaches hide constantly unless in large numbers though..... I can cut the GRDs though. I forgot! What about some sparkling gouramies!? I want some of those too! I really was hoping I could have more scarlet badiss tough they are my favourite! I was planing on like 2 or 3 males and the rest females. Is it possible? So we would be at:
6x scarlet badis
6x hatchets
6x Gold ringed danios
6x black kuhlis
2x CPOs
4x Sparkling Gouramis
and a colony of shrimp right?

i would say pick two of the schoolers. (the hatchets, danios, and gourami)
i wouldn't do more then 2 pairs of the badis. i would do one school if you insist on the 6 badis. for the khuli's, they are fine in groups, they don't require schools. this is what i would do:
2 badis
6 hatchets
6 sparkling gourami
3 black khulis
2 CPO's
and the shrimp. :)

i would say pick two of the schoolers. (the hatchets, danios, and gourami)
i wouldn't do more then 2 pairs of the badis. i would do one school if you insist on the 6 badis. for the khuli's, they are fine in groups, they don't require schools. this is what i would do:
4 badis
6 hatchets
6 sparkling gourami
3 black khulis
2 CPO's
and the shrimp. :)
Could I do
4 badis (two m/f pairs)
6 hatchets
6 gold riged danios
6 kuhlis
3 gouramis
2 cpos
and shrimp?
I want a mid level swimmer that is kinda school like..... I might could do just the gouramis and s

i would either cut the kuhlis in half or cut the gourami all together...

I think the activity of the hatchets/danios might be too much for the badis. The dwarf crays should be fine with tiny fish like those, just be aware that its unlikely that you will get them breed (I don't know that you wanted them to breed, just saying). But, the badis can be pretty shy around rowdy fish and then get out-competed for food. The sparklers can be the same way, but a bit less so than the badis IMO.
The kuhlis really do better in larger groups rather than smaller, so I think your plan for 6 sounds great!

Ok so hatchets are not possible? That stinks. Well what could I get for the middle/top? I kinda like the idea of a schooler like the danios or neon tetras or harlquien rasboras.

if anything i'd drop the danios. they are going to be the most active fish in that tank, and if anything would be the most likely to chase off the shy fish.

So hatchets are ok? Im confused :( is there any schooler (microrasbora?) that can be kept with them?

The scarlet badis and sparklers are pretty shy for many tankmates and if you want one of these species (or both), you will run into the same issue with many of the common little schoolers. I actually think you will have a better chance of it working out because you want a fair number of the shy fish. Hopefully that will help them out. :)
I keep ember tetras and they are good because they are not hyper active. I know the gold-ringed danios are calmer than larger danios like zebras, but scarlet badis just are difficult keepers.
I am not totally positive about the hatchets. My experience with them has been that they are pretty active, but I will look into that a little more. :)

microrasbora are fine, as well as celestial pear danios. micro fish will cause much less stress and bioload, and i think they'd be a much better choice then both danios and hatchets.

I didnt know pygmy hatchets existed. I am talkin the 1 or 2 inch petsmart ones. Where might I find microrasboras or the erytromicrons? I definetly want a bunch of the badis and sparklers. But want a nice number of kuhlis as well.

Yep, pygmy hatchets only reach about an inch. :) The ones at PetSmart (at least that I know of) reach like 2 inches. I don't recommend the larger ones as tankmates for the badis.
Nano fish are often a bit hard to come by in stores and you will likley have to order them online somewhere.
If you want the badis and sparklers,and kuhlis, I suggest embers or micro rasboras as well. Perhaps least killifish because they are too small to be overwhelming to the badis.

Back
Top Bottom