Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrehorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g with 2 Kribs, 2 angels, 2 Bolivian rams, a cory cat, and a bristlenose pleco. I am looking at getting a coupl of Apistos to put in there too. With the above info, would I be able to fit a couple of "shellies" in there without too much problem?

Sabrehorn said:
What else can I put in there? Right now it looks kind of bare.
well first you can buy my x-tra male apistos ;)

then you need a school of tetras or something

While the kribs will do fine since they're not from the Rift lakes and don't need the high pH and high kH as the other popular African cichlids, shellies are from Lake Tanganyika, and would need the "liquid rock" to thrive. I wouldn't suggest mixing them with what you have now, since they all require relatively acidic and soft water.

I would keep an eye on the kribs. My neighbor put a couple in his SA tank and had to take them out. The one Krib almost broke a fish in half...they can be very aggressive, but they sure are cool fish!

I wouldn't add shellies to the tank.

If it were my aquarium, I'd look into adding a school or two of active dither fish: tetras, rasboras, danios, etc. You've got enough large, territorial fish in the mix- any more may lead to troubles down the road. The dithers will add activity and movement, will help your current fish feel more comfortable, and they won't demand any territory of their own.

Back
Top Bottom