Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huggermugger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal. tank currently with 3 platys. I would like to add some guppies and zebra danios. So these work well together? Also how many of each kind can I have? Thanks!

Welcome to AA!!!

Those fish should work well together. I would say 6 danios and maybe 5 guppies. I would go for 2 mails and 3 or 4 females. Just remember 5 guppies becomes 50 guppies very quickly. The danios will help with population control however.

Could I suggest some corys or kuhli loaches for the bottom as well.

Guppies, swordtails, danios and even more platy's will work with your set up.

Livebearers are not considered schooling fish, but from my personal experience, they are more active and secure when there is at least 4+ of each species.

With the Danios, I would make sure you have at least 6 of them so they don't end up chasing your livebearers.

Have to agree with the suggestions noted above. I will add another suggestion for a bottom feeder...bristlenose pleco. They are good at their job and don't get larger than 5".

Also, welcome to AA!

ok thanks. Since I have a 29 gallon how many fish total can I have in there? I had 10 once....now I have 3. Was that too many? 8O

It depends on the size of the fish, aggression, a lot of factors. The suggestions above would work nicely.

You could also scrap the above and get a pair of angels.

It all depends on the type of fish.

I had a few mollies, platys and 1 gourami. Now I want the danios, guppies, and platys...lol...easy but I like them.

6 danios, 5 guppies, and 3 platys seem like a lot of fish to me for my tank but I'm not good at knowing how many to put in there...

I personally would do 6 danios, 4 male guppies, add 1 more platy and for algae, 2 pitbull pleco's.

That is my suggestion. :D

that's good. I DID want some female guppies though..hahaa...oh well. I'll think about it some more.

As long as you have a plan for the baby guppies when they come along, then you can get females. If you want a tank that you don't have to worry about, stick with males only. Even getting only females can cause surprises, since the females can store sperm.

Back
Top Bottom