Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I know everyone on here is probably sick and tired of stocking questions but I am going to add one more to that list :hide: Ok so here is what I already have 3 platys a molly and a betta and about a handful of little pest snails (I love them lol) I know I have to get one or two more female platys because I was sold a platy that was supposed to be female but as it grew I found out it was in fact a male so right now I have two male platys and a female (they dont harass the female to much theres tons of hiding for her til I get that problem taken care of) My tank has been set up for probably 7 months maybe 8 its a 20 gallon long. What I was thinking about was some otos. would they work? Or maybe some tetras? I love tiger barbs but I realize that they probably wouldnt work after reading about them being nippers and what not :( So would tetras or some otos be ok? Or both? Also is there anything else thats pretty and colorful that I could add to the tank? Would an angel be a possibility? I know they are supposed to be in groups but I read that you can have a single one...Or maybe some guppies?? also will different types of tetras school together? Thank you! sorry its so long :/

brunettebaby4571 said:
Ok I know everyone on here is probably sick and tired of stocking questions but I am going to add one more to that list :hide: Ok so here is what I already have 3 platys a molly and a betta and about a handful of little pest snails (I love them lol) I know I have to get one or two more female platys because I was sold a platy that was supposed to be female but as it grew I found out it was in fact a male so right now I have two male platys and a female (they dont harass the female to much theres tons of hiding for her til I get that problem taken care of) My tank has been set up for probably 7 months maybe 8 its a 20 gallon long. What I was thinking about was some otos. would they work? Or maybe some tetras? I love tiger barbs but I realize that they probably wouldnt work after reading about them being nippers and what not :( So would tetras or some otos be ok? Or both? Also is there anything else thats pretty and colorful that I could add to the tank? Would an angel be a possibility? I know they are supposed to be in groups but I read that you can have a single one...Or maybe some guppies?? also will different types of tetras school together? Thank you! sorry its so long :/

So you have
2 male platys
1 female platy
1 Molly
1 Betta
Your tank is getting pretty full IMO.
I wouldn't add a school of tetras but instead get 1 or 2 female platy. IMO 3 ottos would work. After that IMO you'd be stocked.
You are right about the barbs. If they where to go in a 20gL you could only have tiger barbs nothing else. A single angel can be kept. It's often advised in smaller tanks because with 2-3 angels you could end up with a mated pair and/or aggression issues. But a 20g is too small for a angel anyway.

IMO, a 20 long is not high enough for an angel.
I definitely wouldn't put tiger barbs in with platys because the platys are kinda slow and might get picked on.
Are you planning to keep platy fry? In order to balance out your gender ratios, I suggest getting 3 more female platys.
Yes, IMO a trio of otos would be great in there. :)

I lost two female platys in the very beginning so when I went to get another I sent my boyfriend to get another female for the time being and she turned out to be a he haha but we have had two sets of fry so far and they have all gotten eaten or sucked into the filter so Im not worried about having any extra platys unless I buy them. What about the guppies? Also why not the tetras? My tank looks sooo bare and I barely ever see any fish until I feed them :/ Ive seen on other posts people having/suggesting wayyy more fish than what I was wanting so thats why I wasnt sure :/

Does it make any different that I do water changes twice a week? I just want my tank to look more lively its so boring :/

Basically you have to stock around what you already have. The Betta will go after the guppies because of their tails. Tetras need schools of 6 or more so by the time you add more platys to fix the gender ratio you don't have enough room in your stock list for more fish IMO.
It's not just the number of fish in the tank but bioload, aggression, compatibility, swimming space, schools needed, etc.

Ok what if I got rid of one of the male platys or both male platys? Could I get the tetras then? And yeah I just thought about the betta he gets along great with what I have now so I dont want him goin after any guppies...Could I do a school of tetras and the otos if I got rid of the male platys?

brunettebaby4571 said:
Ok what if I got rid of one of the male platys or both male platys? Could I get the tetras then? And yeah I just thought about the betta he gets along great with what I have now so I dont want him goin after any guppies...Could I do a school of tetras and the otos if I got rid of the male platys?

Yes if you rehomed the male platys you could get a small school 6-8 of smaller tetras like neons, etc.

I agree. If a couple of platys were rehomed, a school of tetras would be fine IMO. Make sure not to pick tetras that are nippy or they will likely chase your betta. Rummy nose, lemon, kerri blue, black neon tetras or harlequin raboras would be ok IMO. There are others too of course, those are just a few of the ones I like. :)

Ok thank you guys so much! So I could get the tetras and still get the otos? Ive been wantin to get them for the last few months! :)

IMO, yes. I think tetras and otos would be fine. You will have to make sure you keep up with the pwc, but thats not really a very big deal. :)

Back
Top Bottom