substrate, quarantine, and filters help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For more info refer to later pages of the original thread here.

I have a 27g marineland cube aquarium. I got it with a fluval c3 and black gravel, and it's light is marineland double bright led 18-24". I'm nearing the end of my fishless cycle using pure ammonia.

I'm considering changing the substrate to seachem flourite black sand, I'd need probably 3 bags. I'd like to have a mid-planted tank, I don't know what type of light the leds give me. I'm going to have driftwood and cholla wood, that I'll probably attach some mosses to. I want to have a carpeting plant, reason one for the new substrate. Reason two is that I want to get corys, which need smoother substrate than what I have.

If I get all my fish at the same time from the same store (petsmart) since they have central filtration would I need to quarantine since the fish are all on the same system?

I have a fluval c3 at the moment, it doesn't have any chemical media in it. I was considering putting purigen and some other bio media in there. Or,I could get a sunsun 303b.. it's only about $75-$80 for 370 rated gph (I've read you only really get around 200 or so gph). In there I'd put the bio media from the fluval to seed it, right? And run both filters for a while? If I do have to get a quarantine I could use the c3 for that filter, if I put it on low.

Lots of input needed, I appreciate you reading through this!
-1998golfer

I'm not sure exactly what input you're looking for, so I'll just throw out some of my thoughts...

The Marineland LED is a decent enough light, but not great for growing plants. It will be fine for low-light plants, but that's about it. The bigger problem with it is that it's a very focused fixture. You'll see that there are some very bright spots (where the LED's point), but also some very dark spots. That will make planting the tank more complicated. Ultimately, though, whether the light works for you or not will depend on what type of plants you want.

As to changing the substrate, I would recommend doing that before you get fish in the tank. It will make things easier and, of course, avoid problems caused by a potential mini-cycle. The black sand should be good for corys.

As to adding fish, you can add them all at the same time without quarantining. The point of quarantining is to avoid introducing anything to an established tank with fish. Since you don't have any fish, that's not a risk. Once you do, you'll want to consider a quarantine solution. You will, of course, still want to properly acclimatize the new fish.

Finally, as to putting in a new filter, rather than replacing your current Fluval with the SunSun, have you considered running both? More filtration is certainly not a bad thing and the two together should compliment each other nicely. I use a Fluval U3 in conjunction with an Eheim 2213 and get very good results in my 29 gallon tank.

I'm not sure exactly what input you're looking for, so I'll just throw out some of my thoughts...

The Marineland LED is a decent enough light, but not great for growing plants. It will be fine for low-light plants, but that's about it. The bigger problem with it is that it's a very focused fixture. You'll see that there are some very bright spots (where the LED's point), but also some very dark spots. That will make planting the tank more complicated. Ultimately, though, whether the light works for you or not will depend on what type of plants you want.

As to changing the substrate, I would recommend doing that before you get fish in the tank. It will make things easier and, of course, avoid problems caused by a potential mini-cycle. The black sand should be good for corys.

As to adding fish, you can add them all at the same time without quarantining. The point of quarantining is to avoid introducing anything to an established tank with fish. Since you don't have any fish, that's not a risk. Once you do, you'll want to consider a quarantine solution. You will, of course, still want to properly acclimatize the new fish.

Finally, as to putting in a new filter, rather than replacing your current Fluval with the SunSun, have you considered running both? More filtration is certainly not a bad thing and the two together should compliment each other nicely. I use a Fluval U3 in conjunction with an Eheim 2213 and get very good results in my 29 gallon tank.

Is there a better light fixture you can recommend?

Is there a better light fixture you can recommend?
It really depends on what your goals are. Do you want a high-light, high-tech tank, or are you content with lower light plants? Are you looking at staying with LED fixtures, or would traditional fluorescent tubes be ok? Most importantly, how much are you willing to spend?

Sticking with what you're currently at, I've had success with the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED fixture. It has a very high PAR rating and can be used to grow pretty much anything you want. In contrast, the level of light it puts out almost requires injecting CO2 and ferts or you'll quickly find algae taking control. Also, it is also somewhat focused and you have to plant around the capability of the light (though not as much as the DoubleBright). Of course, this fixture costs in the $150-$250 range (depending on the size).

Other options include CurrentUSA, Finnex, and BuildMyLED. A very good read on LED lights can be located here: LED Lighting Compendium

Back
Top Bottom