Suggestions for a 45 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

droe77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have recently moved up from a 10 gallon to 45 gallon set-up. Everything has cycled really well and the fish I moved from the 10 to 45 are all doing great. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what would work with what I have now:

• 1 Molly
  • 3 Striped Danios
  • 1 Chinese Algae Eater
  • 2 Tetras

I'd like to introduce some bigger fish, but at the same time, I realize that I need to be careful about turning my little guys into snacks. That said, my knowledge is lacking (but growing!) and I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for how to add to this new set-up. Thanks!

What kind of tetras are they? First of all you need to bump up that number to at least 6. They are schooling fish and need more than just 2. Same with the Danios. bump up that number as well.

You have several other schooling options with tetras and danios themselves.

I don't know much about the chinese algae eater.. I know it can become aggressive/territorial when full grown so I'm not sure how that would all play out in your tank with all the other tank mates, I'd suggest lots hiding places, rocks, caves, plants and probably staying away from any other bottom dwellers.

I don't know much about mollys either but I think they are more comfortable with a few more as well. They aren't schooling fish but i think it's a comfort/social thing.

For some bigger fish maybe consider a dwarf gourami or boesmani rainbows

+1 about the tetras and danios. I think the molly will be fine on its own though, but would probably enjoy some company. Males can be aggressive towards each other sometimes.

Depending on what your tetras are, you could add an angelfish. They may eat very small tetras so I'd stay away if that's what you have. You could also try species of dwarf cichlids. I'm not familiar with very many, but Bolivian rams are pretty cool.

droe77 said:
Hi,

I have recently moved up from a 10 gallon to 45 gallon set-up. Everything has cycled really well and the fish I moved from the 10 to 45 are all doing great. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what would work with what I have now:

[*]1 Molly
[*]3 Striped Danios
[*]1 Chinese Algae Eater
[*]2 Tetras

I'd like to introduce some bigger fish, but at the same time, I realize that I need to be careful about turning my little guys into snacks. That said, my knowledge is lacking (but growing!) and I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for how to add to this new set-up. Thanks!

Like others have suggested bump up the numbers to six. I am guessing the striped danios are zebras. I would add 8 panda Cories 3 dwarf Gourami 1m 2f , another 2 mollies and some shrimp

Back
Top Bottom