Suggestions on schooling fish (fw)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys thinkin of addin some schooling fish to my tank in the next two weeks, and i was wonderng what u mught suggest, they need to be tough and i would prefer they stick to a tight school, vs. only schooling when there is a threat. ps-no neons i dont like them thanx for the suggestions

For a hardy schooling fish, I like black neons. They aren't true neons. They are larger and have magnificent black and yellow colors. Rummy nose tetras are great too. They are somwhat more demanding of water conditions though.

What size tank is this for?

Also, danios are more schoaling fish than schooling fish, but they do stick together and are hardy.

Danios are active, but I have 6 in a 29 gal tank (with 5 dwarf rainbowfish and 3 cory cats) and after the first day or two my danios never school together...not even when I change water (unless I do something major like a 50% pwc).

From what I have read, if your fish and healthy and happy and comfortable in their tank, very few schooling fish will actaully "school." I have heard several people say rummynose tetras school more than just about anything else, but I've never owned them myself.

bloodfin tetras (Aphyocharax anisitsi) ...a slightly neglected schooling fish...and extremely hardy...
i found them while searching for tight-schooling fish too...have around 14 in my community tank and they are doing great...they move around in a tight formation barring a few inquisitive individuals...

though i believe rummunoses (Hemigrammus bleheri) do school better...

For a hardy schooling fish, I like black neons. They aren't true neons. They are larger and have magnificent black and yellow colors.
After seeing Brian's tank, I will say that black neons are the way to go!

I got tetras (phantoms, rummynoses, cardinals, pristellas), dwarf rainbows, albino corys, clown loaches as schooling/shoaling fish. But the only ones grouping right now are the rummynoses and the clowns shared a cave. Every other fish is just roaming w/o a care in the world in my tank. I guessed I got a bunch of radicals that doesn't care too much about grouping.

lmw80 said:
What size tank is this for?

Also, danios are more schoaling fish than schooling fish, but they do stick together and are hardy.
I had originally just bought 2 danios to cycle with, but they were so entertaining I ended up with 5 so far. They only school when I do pwc though.

I still love the Harlequin Rasboras (rasbora hetermorphas). A school of 5 would look awesome. They aren't eratic swimmers either, but a very peacful and colorful fish.

I have 5 Tiger Barbs and 5 Albino Tiger barbs that stay in a nice school. The 10 of them are very active swimmers too.

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of sea salt

Back
Top Bottom