Sustainable tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larger tanks

U know u guys (like u Rivercats) were saying a 60 L tank was way too small for an 8.5cm Oranda (excluding tail) and two 3.5cm (including tails) Hong Kong Plecs because of stunting and water quality? Well my water is fine and I'm not even using my HOB I'm only using a basic sponge filter, and the medicine for the Oranda is probably killing off BB too, so no worries about water quality, but what I'm scared about is stunting. How much space does an adult Oranda and two adult Plecs need? I know the Plecs only grow 5cm each, but the Oranda can become massive! So how much space do I need for when they become massive to avoid stunting growth?

Also, could I keep them in the 60 L for the next year or two and then get a 150-200 L tank after a year or two with no stunting?

I'm definitely no expert with goldfish, but from what I've heard goldfish grow really fast. I don't think it would make it a year or two without any stunting. I'd say upgrade to a 200 L tank asap. As soon as you get the funds you should set it up. But like I said, I'm no expert.

Thanks Brilliant Barb! BTW I probably could get a cheap 200 L but the thing is all the shops I've been to say "don't worry, 60 litres is fine at the minute".

This thread has kind of become a place where I learn more about fish, not the sustainable tanks it was supposed to be! Thanks everyone for ur great advice, I'm glad I found "Aquarium advice" on here.

BTW I'm confused. What do aquatic plants use? Ammonia, Ammonium, Nitrite or Nitrate? In aquaponics I'm sure the BB changes the Ammonia to Nitrite then into Nitrate, but what do aquatic plants use more? If they do use Ammonia then what can get rid of Nitrates? Because de-nitrifying bacteria are anaerobic aren't they so there wouldn't be much f them would there?

BTW I'm confused. What do aquatic plants use? Ammonia, Ammonium, Nitrite or Nitrate? In aquaponics I'm sure the BB changes the Ammonia to Nitrite then into Nitrate, but what do aquatic plants use more? If they do use Ammonia then what can get rid of Nitrates? Because de-nitrifying bacteria are anaerobic aren't they so there wouldn't be much f them would there?

Plants will use all of them. They prefer ammonia over everything else

Plants eat ammonia, nitrates, and I think nitrites as well.

So could the *almost* fully sustainable tank be done? Get a HUGE tank, more like a pond almost (250 L or more at least), aquatic and terrestrial plants, floating plants (especially duckweed) sponge filter, trillions upon billions of beneficial bacteria, lots of cherry shrimp and other shrimp, clams if needed, some fish, algae, good light, maybe soil under layer (like the Walstad method or whatever it's called) and any other things needed.

So could the *almost* fully sustainable tank be done? Get a HUGE tank, more like a pond almost (250 L or more at least), aquatic and terrestrial plants, floating plants (especially duckweed) sponge filter, trillions upon billions of beneficial bacteria, lots of cherry shrimp and other shrimp, clams if needed, some fish, algae, good light, maybe soil under layer (like the Walstad method or whatever it's called) and any other things needed.
what you just described is actually my full set up did you not watch the video I posted a few pages back???

Do u think this is all right for the fish? If it is I might consider purchasing one: https://www.backtotheroots.com/Products/Details.aspx?p=12
3 gallons is decent... But not ideal. Maybe it would be okay for a shrimp tank, but I'm not sure of any fish that are ideal. I think some RCS and nerites would max that tank out. Betta fish could work in there, but one- there's not really a lot of space. And two- there's no place for a heater.

3 gallons is decent... But not ideal. Maybe it would be okay for a shrimp tank, but I'm not sure of any fish that are ideal. I think some RCS and nerites would max that tank out. Betta fish could work in there, but one- there's not really a lot of space. And two- there's no place for a heater.

He's talking about for his goldfish and hillstream loaches.

No that won't be near enough.

Or if your talking about self sustaining, that would work.

He's talking about for his goldfish and hillstream loaches.

No that won't be near enough.

Or if your talking about self sustaining, that would work.

No no no! I mean I would buy a Betta fish plus a shrimp to eat the algae and have them living in the tank section, and then grow 1 strawberry, 1 Basil, 1-2 Wheat grass and then 1-2 Lettuces.

I've got a much bigger tank than that for my Oranda and loaches! It may be getting too small but it's bigger than the AquaFarm.

No no no! I mean I would buy a Betta fish plus a shrimp to eat the algae and have them living in the tank section, and then grow 1 strawberry, 1 Basil, 1-2 Wheat grass and then 1-2 Lettuces.

I've got a much bigger tank than that for my Oranda and loaches! It may be getting too small but it's bigger than the AquaFarm.

There may be more nutrient sucking type plants. But idk.

Chances are pretty high that the Betta would eat the shrimp.

I've read DOZENS of reviews about this product and have come to the conclusion the "older" tanks had rubbish aerators (the pump) that were loud and weak, but now they've upgraded them and that sometimes the fish gets stuck up the tube, so maybe I could put a small sponge - this would help with mechanical filtering too. So u guys think it won't harm a Betta fish? I might get one for my birthday then :):fish1::fish2:

Healthy fish don't get stuck to intake tubes. The only time I use sponges on my intakes is when keeping small shrimp, nano fish, or if it's on a nano tank with a tiny filter. If you don't keep the sponges clean it greatly slows down filter flow.

More reviews are saying how bad the old pump was and back to the roots is giving a new pump to everyone who needs one (if they write about it of course).

Healthy fish don't get stuck to intake tubes. The only time I use sponges on my intakes is when keeping small shrimp, nano fish, or if it's on a nano tank with a tiny filter. If you don't keep the sponges clean it greatly slows down filter flow.

Apparently they've changed the tube so (unhealthy) fish don't get stuck in the tube now.

Back
Top Bottom