swimming pool filter sand or 'normal' pool sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got a bucket of free swimming pool sand and but don't know wether it is pool filter sand or 'normal' pool sand. I was told it was used in the swimming pool but not in the filter. I went to a pool store to take a look at the swimming pool filter sand, and also went to a playground to check 'normal' playground sand. I can't find any major difference between them. I am really confused about it. Maybe the playground sand is a little bit finer than pool filter sand, but my 'pool sand' is similar to pool filter sand, but it is quite yellowish when it is wet. I don't know the color of the pool filter sand when it is wet. Anyway, they are all very fine particles.

I wouldn't use it if it was used in either the filter or the pool.........it's cheap enough....buy some that you can be sure is clean.

i agree with glitch, i wouldnt use it if it had been put in a chlorinated pool. If the pool was salt water, it might be ok with a really good rinse.

That being said, i believe Seachem released a new line of sands that have Flourite in them, i would chose one of these if possible.

Don't use the pre-used sand. That being said, I have used pool filter sand and play sand. I prefer PFS as it is heavier and more grainy and less prone to floating and getting sucked up into filters.

Well, I don't want to use the sand since it is too fine. I am planing to use 10lb of Truface MVP as bottom layer, and 20lb of Eco-complete as top layer. This is for a 20 gallon high tank and I guess it will give me 3" deep of substrate.

Back
Top Bottom