Tabked houdini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been irritated lately with the increase in "reality shows" on what used to be mostly documentary focused stations, too. Once upon a time, the history channel had cool docs and shows about history. Or as one of my history profs put it, "all nazis, all the time" back in the earliest days of the channel since all the old stock ww2 newsreels were free to use and the channel lacked funding. But now, if it isn't pawn stars or American pickers, it's ancient aliens bull. Animal planet used to be all cool documentaries on awesome wild animals. The discovery channel used to be full of science shows, now it's all ice road truckers. The learning channel now has pretty much nixed anything with any educational value. I don't even have cable anymore, since my former favorite channels are now mostly filled with reality shows.

As far as tanked goes, I think they should take some responsibility for educating the public on some basics of fish keeping. Or as someone in another of these threads suggested, maybe a disclaimer reminding people that this is a show meant to entertain, and suggesting people research proper aquarium care before buying fish because some of what they do is exaggerated for entertainment value. What really bothers me about their bad stocking and seemingly nonexistent cycling is the fact that they talk about why they started the show, to bring more people into the hobby. And of course, it is up to the individual to research any pet they want to keep, but many will not, and they may be enticed into the hobby by the show only to try and do what they do (overstock and mix incompatible fish) and end up angry and dissapointed when they fail. Also, they talk about using those tacky coral inserts to help preserve the reefs, but they pile all sorts of wild caught fish into deathtraps of tanks. I just think they should hold themselves to a higher standard and take some time, even if it is only for a minute or two per episode, to discuss some of the basics of fishkeeping. To the masses, these guys are the voice of the hobby. I just think that if they are so concerned with the health of the aquarium hobby and conservation of the coral reefs, they should let some of that show through by doing a little less of the showy "haha these fish will fight just like the wife picks on the husband" tanks and the super crowded reef systems and instead show just how beautiful a healthy, properly stocked reef (or fresh) tank can really be. It's not like a few seconds to say "some people use live rock to help filter saltwater systems, but we are setting up this filter system because xyz" or "some of these fish will outgrow this tank, so they should be moved before they get too big." It isn't like I think they should just make a dry show catering to the fishkeeping crowd, but just that they have room to educate that they aren't using. And a follow up episode on some of their tanks would be a big plus, especially if they included some of the failed tanks and addressed some of the issues that caused them.

I also don't put all the blame on the reported mass failures on the folks at ATM. The buyers obviously have a big hand in it. If they don't do the maintenance or adjust the stock, or if they haven't done their proper research before deciding to install a tank, they are setting these tanks up to fail themselves. Gotta say, though, some of the builds should have been flat out refused. Like the skateboard ramp tank - I feel that if the guys at ATM had much concern for the wellbeing of the fish, they would have turned down the idea of a useable ramp with fish in it. Between the stress of all the noise and vibration and the chance that the tank could break, I don't think they should have accepted the request.

As an aside, I actually waited on one of the ice road truckers once. Don't know his name, but he was really nice. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that I couldn't stand the show. Waited on one of the guys from swamp people, too. Also nice. And wow, that turned into a huge rant. Sorry for the wall of text, guys.

I've been irritated lately with the increase in "reality shows" on what used to be mostly documentary focused stations, too. Once upon a time, the history channel had cool docs and shows about history. Or as one of my history profs put it, "all nazis, all the time" back in the earliest days of the channel since all the old stock ww2 newsreels were free to use and the channel lacked funding. But now, if it isn't pawn stars or American pickers, it's ancient aliens bull. Animal planet used to be all cool documentaries on awesome wild animals. The discovery channel used to be full of science shows, now it's all ice road truckers. The learning channel now has pretty much nixed anything with any educational value. I don't even have cable anymore, since my former favorite channels are now mostly filled with reality shows.

As far as tanked goes, I think they should take some responsibility for educating the public on some basics of fish keeping. Or as someone in another of these threads suggested, maybe a disclaimer reminding people that this is a show meant to entertain, and suggesting people research proper aquarium care before buying fish because some of what they do is exaggerated for entertainment value. What really bothers me about their bad stocking and seemingly nonexistent cycling is the fact that they talk about why they started the show, to bring more people into the hobby. And of course, it is up to the individual to research any pet they want to keep, but many will not, and they may be enticed into the hobby by the show only to try and do what they do (overstock and mix incompatible fish) and end up angry and dissapointed when they fail. Also, they talk about using those tacky coral inserts to help preserve the reefs, but they pile all sorts of wild caught fish into deathtraps of tanks. I just think they should hold themselves to a higher standard and take some time, even if it is only for a minute or two per episode, to discuss some of the basics of fishkeeping. To the masses, these guys are the voice of the hobby. I just think that if they are so concerned with the health of the aquarium hobby and conservation of the coral reefs, they should let some of that show through by doing a little less of the showy "haha these fish will fight just like the wife picks on the husband" tanks and the super crowded reef systems and instead show just how beautiful a healthy, properly stocked reef (or fresh) tank can really be. It's not like a few seconds to say "some people use live rock to help filter saltwater systems, but we are setting up this filter system because xyz" or "some of these fish will outgrow this tank, so they should be moved before they get too big." It isn't like I think they should just make a dry show catering to the fishkeeping crowd, but just that they have room to educate that they aren't using. And a follow up episode on some of their tanks would be a big plus, especially if they included some of the failed tanks and addressed some of the issues that caused them.

I also don't put all the blame on the reported mass failures on the folks at ATM. The buyers obviously have a big hand in it. If they don't do the maintenance or adjust the stock, or if they haven't done their proper research before deciding to install a tank, they are setting these tanks up to fail themselves. Gotta say, though, some of the builds should have been flat out refused. Like the skateboard ramp tank - I feel that if the guys at ATM had much concern for the wellbeing of the fish, they would have turned down the idea of a useable ramp with fish in it. Between the stress of all the noise and vibration and the chance that the tank could break, I don't think they should have accepted the request.

As an aside, I actually waited on one of the ice road truckers once. Don't know his name, but he was really nice. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that I couldn't stand the show. Waited on one of the guys from swamp people, too. Also nice. And wow, that turned into a huge rant. Sorry for the wall of text, guys.

Perfectly stated. They are the ones who have kind of brought back the hobby yet they don't provide info to the public . It would be nice of before and after the commercials they did a quick tip thing. Even sponsored by a fish brand like aqueon or marineland.

Perfectly stated. They are the ones who have kind of brought back the hobby yet they don't provide info to the public . It would be nice of before and after the commercials they did a quick tip thing. Even sponsored by a fish brand like aqueon or marineland.

Yeah, a little segment of tips and tricks, or maybe a 5 minute demonstration of how to go about setting up your first fish tank would be great - especially alongside some sort of disclaimer that some of their setups are more "experts only," and shouldn't really be attempted without some experience and research. Not to mention I would think that something like that, aimed at beginners and people interested in starting a basic first tank, would be great for drawing people into the hobby. It would send the message that keeping fish doesn't have to involve some huge, expensive ornate tank needing crazy maintenance, but instead can be a simple easy setup. And of course the rest of the show shows that the only limit to what the tank can be is your imagination (although it would be absolutely wonderful if they explained that even with some huge crazy tank, you need to work around the needs of the fish you want to put in there.)

And thanks for the "perfectly stated." I typed that in bits and pieces over a couple of hours, and I'm exhausted from a long day at work. I honestly wasn't sure I was making any sense.

Back
Top Bottom