Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the case of this betta, the anal and dorsal fins are a bit long for a female. On short finned male bettas, the tail is short but the anal and dorsal fins are still usually much longer than those of similarly sized females. Also, females will have an "egg spot" on their belly. Males will have a larger "beard" when flaring and are more likely to flare for a mirror.

Ahh I see. This one is amazing in color. Will he change colors?

Probably not. He may intensify a little, but the only bettas that really change colors or patterns drastically are the marble types. He is what you might call "mustard gas" in coloring, although the only "true" mustard gas bettas are gone... One guy bred them, and was rather picky about where the name could be used. Copyrighted it and everything! But it has come to mean bettas with yellow fins with a band of blue at the tips of the fins.

BTW guys, I have a build thread going for the fish room I am piecing together if you want to come follow. It's mostly bettas, lol. Although due to a surprise in the package I got the other day, I will also be setting up a convict tank!

Probably not. He may intensify a little, but the only bettas that really change colors or patterns drastically are the marble types. He is what you might call "mustard gas" in coloring, although the only "true" mustard gas bettas are gone... One guy bred them, and was rather picky about where the name could be used. Copyrighted it and everything! But it has come to mean bettas with yellow fins with a band of blue at the tips of the fins.

BTW guys, I have a build thread going for the fish room I am piecing together if you want to come follow. It's mostly bettas, lol. Although due to a surprise in the package I got the other day, I will also be setting up a convict tank!

Sweet, ill follow. This betta does have blue outline on his fins. Its hard to see in the pics because he is in a cup but ill show yall when I get him!

Although due to a surprise in the package I got the other day, I will also be setting up a convict tank!

Does that mean you got some free fish? Lol. That's cool. :).

I had a few friends over last night, & I was showing off my tank to everyone. :). They didn't understand the whole "fish less cycling" process. Lol. But neither did I before this sight, so live & learn.

That would put you at low light. Ill show you some good ones. They are costly. Remember. If you want alot of great plants and a high powered light, your gonna need co2 and ferts.

Edit* I recommend something from this category

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/lighting/aquarium-t5-ho-fluorescent-light-fixture/ps/c/3578/3733/13822

Here is some co2 stuff

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-carbon-dioxide-injection/ps/c/3578/3747

Will this light work? If so, I think I'm going to purchase it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23753&pcatid=23753

Also. I'm getting so confused with how co2 works. I'm going to need a reactor, and a canister full of co2?

Edit* I just found this link. Would this work ? I'm pretty sure it's the whole system sold as a little kit. All I do is dissolve sugar in water? Or something like that?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00026058Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1376858935&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Heck ya dude that light is awesome! Now im thinking of buying one! Get the freshwater one for sure and one the amazon link it looks like your basic diy co2 and they are selling you a powerhead for it. I wouldnt waste my money on that. Id go for the liquid co2. Everyone here is calling it glut or metricide I think

Heck ya dude that light is awesome! Now im thinking of buying one! Get the freshwater one for sure and one the amazon link it looks like your basic diy co2 and they are selling you a powerhead for it. I wouldnt waste my money on that. Id go for the liquid co2. Everyone here is calling it glut or metricide I think

Okay good. So my plants will like the lighting then :). What's the different between the freshwater & marine one? Besides $9 cheaper lol.

Liquid co2. So no systems at all then? I'll try to google it & find out what I need for liquid co2. Also, what kind of plant fertilizers will I need?

I say something called "exel flourish" I believe. Is that the right stuff?

Okay good. So my plants will like the lighting then :). What's the different between the freshwater & marine one? Besides $9 cheaper lol.

Liquid co2. So no systems at all then? I'll try to google it & find out what I need for liquid co2. Also, what kind of plant fertilizers will I need?

I say something called "exel flourish" I believe. Is that the right stuff?

So to be honest ive heard of it but im not by no means an expert so I dont wanna give you the wrong info. The marine lights grow corals and the fw lights grow fw plants. Thats about all the difference. Excel is glut basically but waaaaaaaaaay more expensive. You can but metricide (called that I think) for around 20 $ per gallon and add a gallon of water to it and its the same thing as flourish except it last a very long time for a 10g. Im hoping rivercat jumps in on this subject to help more. You can do regular co2 but it is more costly and diy co2 is a hit or miss to be honest

RIVERCAT HELP!!!

So to be honest ive heard of it but im not by no means an expert so I dont wanna give you the wrong info. The marine lights grow corals and the fw lights grow fw plants. Thats about all the difference. Excel is glut basically but waaaaaaaaaay more expensive. You can but metricide (called that I think) for around 20 $ per gallon and add a gallon of water to it and its the same thing as flourish except it last a very long time for a 10g. Im hoping rivercat jumps in on this subject to help more. You can do regular co2 but it is more costly and diy co2 is a hit or miss to be honest

RIVERCAT HELP!!!

I sent Rivercats a private message. :)

I just need to find out if I really need a co2 system, or if I can just use the co2 booster.

I sent Rivercats a private message. :)

I just need to find out if I really need a co2 system, or if I can just use the co2 booster.

No you dont need a co2 system. The booster stuff is fine but there are certain ones you should use. I pmed rivercats as well with your threaf link!

No you dont need a co2 system. The booster stuff is fine but there are certain ones you should use. I pmed rivercats as well with your threaf link!

Okay cool. Thanks :).

So for the 10 gallon an aqua clear 20 is the filter I'm going to get, & also an aqua clear 70 for my 46 gallon. I might even add an aqua clear 20 to the 46 as well, not sure yet. But I already got another amazon cart at over $100 -.- they love me there lol.

Okay cool. Thanks :).

So for the 10 gallon an aqua clear 20 is the filter I'm going to get, & also an aqua clear 70 for my 46 gallon. I might even add an aqua clear 20 to the 46 as well, not sure yet. But I already got another amazon cart at over $100 -.- they love me there lol.

How much are you paying for the ac 70? Id go with a 110 and a 20 for your 46 or a 70 and a 50. The 20 is perfect for a 10g

How much are you paying for the ac 70? Id go with a 110 and a 20 for your 46 or a 70 and a 50. The 20 is perfect for a 10g

$20 for the 20. $26 for the 50. $40 for the 70. $65 for the 110.

Would the 50 fit the 10 gallon? Lol. That's a better deal.

Two 50's for the 46?

That is alot of numbers lol 2718203049482914.

$20 for the 20. $26 for the 50. $40 for the 70. $65 for the 110.

Would the 50 fit the 10 gallon? Lol. That's a better deal.

Two 50's for the 46?

That is alot of numbers lol 2718203049482914.

Those are great prices! The 50 should fit but I would stick with the 20 for a planted tank. 2 50s would be good for a 46 but I have 2 70s on my 36 and its amazing!

Those are great prices! The 50 should fit but I would stick with the 20 for a planted tank. 2 50s would be good for a 46 but I have 2 70s on my 36 and its amazing!

Okay check this idea out.

So scratch the whole 10 gallon idea.

Now I bought this light a while back for my 46 gallon. I had it sitting on top of the old hood. But I want to buy a glass top for it to sit on top of. But I can't find one for a 46. So I was wondering what the dimensions for your 36 bowfront was? If it's the same as my 46 then I found a lid for it. I just need to know for sure.

But this light says it's sufficient for growing plants, so if I already have a good light then I might just do plants in my 46 gallon. I'll buy two aqua clear 70's for it. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-1273047634.jpg
    image-1273047634.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image-3400613091.jpg
    image-3400613091.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 46
Okay check this idea out.

So scratch the whole 10 gallon idea.

Now I bought this light a while back for my 46 gallon. I had it sitting on top of the old hood. But I want to buy a glass top for it to sit on top of. But I can't find one for a 46. So I was wondering what the dimensions for your 36 bowfront was? If it's the same as my 46 then I found a lid for it. I just need to know for sure.

But this light says it's sufficient for growing plants, so if I already have a good light then I might just do plants in my 46 gallon. I'll buy two aqua clear 70's for it. What do you think?

With that light, your looking at low light plants. Still quite a variety and you dont NEED co2 anymore and 2- 70s is perfect. As for the top, no it wont fit at all. The 46 is longer

With that light, your looking at low light plants. Still quite a variety and you dont NEED co2 anymore and 2- 70s is perfect. As for the top, no it wont fit at all. The 46 is longer

I might have to go order one at the LFS then. I'll look at plants when I'm there to.

The filtration is okay, check that off the list lol.

I don't need co2 because the plants are low light? Any idea where I can find a list of low light aquarium plants?

Back
Top Bottom