teach me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow great info! Thank you so much! I had read they were very curious fish so I figured I would try to make them lots of exploring spots :)

I do have a few questions. If I may ask them on this thread? If not just pm me your answers and we can continue this talk on pm :)

1) I have very soft water with a ph about 6-7. Do I need to add any crushed coral or calcium rich rock to change this?

2) I am not able to do weekly water changes. Sometimes it could be as stretched as 1 month. I usually use live plants to keep the nitrates and pollutants in check. Will this work with puffers? (I also plan to use seachem matrix and purigen in the filter)

3) How much decor should I use and how shoukd U arrange it?

4) Finally in the 20 tall with 2 waspfish how many puffers should I keep?

1. I used to use a marine buffer I am not sure the brand. But they prefer just regular sand bottom.

2. I never do live plants just never been really interested enough so I don't know if they will work with puffers. You will be fine with 1 water change a month IF you clean out left over food. They don't give off much waste its the left over food you have to worry about. Turkey basters are great for removing left over food. If you don't they will die.

For quick water changes for my 20 long I keep a 1 gallon juice container from the dollar store. I took off the lid of the tank filled it with tank water twice dumped it. Filled it with tap water and prime twice and you have 5 minute 10% water change.

3. Completely up to you. I like to keep it natural. This is a pic of my cichlid tank I had it set up pretty much the same way for my puffers except it had a large piece of drift wood in the center.

4. Two figure 8's are fine in a 20 gallon but like I said before I know nothing about wasp fish so I really don't know. The two species my not be compatible at all.

Just for fun here is a pic of my guy. I miss mine bunches and you can't find them where I live now.

ps I tried pming you something and it said your box was full.

1. I used to use a marine buffer I am not sure the brand. But they prefer just regular sand bottom.

2. I never do live plants just never been really interested enough so I don't know if they will work with puffers. You will be fine with 1 water change a month IF you clean out left over food. They don't give off much waste its the left over food you have to worry about. Turkey basters are great for removing left over food. If you don't they will die.

For quick water changes for my 20 long I keep a 1 gallon juice container from the dollar store. I took off the lid of the tank filled it with tank water twice dumped it. Filled it with tap water and prime twice and you have 5 minute 10% water change.

3. Completely up to you. I like to keep it natural. This is a pic of my cichlid tank I had it set up pretty much the same way for my puffers except it had a large piece of drift wood in the center.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Rivers2k/media/photo9_zps5dbd815a.jpg.html

4. Two figure 8's are fine in a 20 gallon but like I said before I know nothing about wasp fish so I really don't know. The two species my not be compatible at all.

Just for fun here is a pic of my guy. I miss mine bunches and you can't find them where I live now.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Rivers2k/media/photo4-3_zps77b0fa93.jpg.html

Thanks! I am excited! I am kinda hoping that the waspfish will clean up most of the leftovers :) I guess snails are out of the question lol

I will empty my inbox

Thanks! I am excited! I am kinda hoping that the waspfish will clean up most of the leftovers :) I guess snails are out of the question lol

I will empty my inbox

Snails are very good ... for food lol. not so much for clean up. Where you able to get the fish this weekend? let me know how things go with the wasp fish.

Snails are very good ... for food lol. not so much for clean up. Where you able to get the fish this weekend? let me know how things go with the wasp fish.

No ;( I have to get all the shrimp and nanos out first lol I am just hoping I set it up well! I am completely new to brackish!

Back
Top Bottom